Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The Grass Is Always Greener (?)




"Mind Of An Artist"
Click to Enlarge
Acrylic/Mixed Media/Wood
24" X 24"

This is one of my favorite pieces. It is called “Mind of an Artist”. Boy, can I relate to that! No matter what is happening in the artist’s mind, it all comes down to inspiration, creativity, and just MAKING stuff. I have this work hung in my living room. It is hung on the wall perpendicular to my couch. Late at night, I will be watching TV and occasionally look over at it. There is something that I just love about this work. It makes me FEEL good. I will never sell it. It isn’t exemplary of the style in which I make art. (I don’t think I have one style and I think that is one of my problems!!!) LOL LOL However, maybe it indicates a lead to my “style”. I don’t know and don’t care at this moment. However, it reminds me of a burning issue that troubles me right now.

We all look at the work of other artists and dismiss or envy. Some want to be Monday morning quarterback critics and tell you THEIR opinion. I really don’t give a flying flip. I really don’t. My art is so personal and I really, really, really do it for me. Now, I know that is WRONG according to some, but like I said: “I DON’T CARE”. I am well educated, intelligent, and for SURE, I am an artist. So those who detract are on some other wavelength and have the right to say or do what they want. I am old enough and wise enough to realize that isn’t about my art or me at all. I am not “in it”. So I move on.

My post is called “The Grass Is Always Greener”. I have been thinking about this a lot in the past few weeks. We troll around in a tizzy, think our lives suck, and then look over the fence. We always think others have it better. Well………I am trying really hard to look at my side of the fence. Right now, I am looking out my computer room window looking at the palm trees and gads of vegetation. I am looking around my computer room and see the art. I look into my kitchen and see the beautiful mosaic wall I created. I could go on and on. Even though I live a modest, artist life style (with a DAY JOB), it really isn’t all that bad. I have so much for which to be thankful.

That doesn’t mean I am complacent. I am still striving to do the best art I can and do the best job as an artist. I have to bundle up and embrace all my insights, life experiences, and current existence. When I do that, I can move forward with confidence.

No comments: