Saturday, January 27, 2007

Human Languages

I was reading another art blog this morning and the author discussed art theory, philosophy, who-ha, and general yadda yadda yadda. It was getting so deep as I read, my eyes started to roll to the back of my head and my mind began to fizzle. It reminded me of being in a grad school seminar. With each paragraph, I found myself skipping more and more words just to get to a point of interest. I thought, “Who talks like this??” Oh, I know very well who talks like this. Art academics or artists writing incomprehensible artist statements are a few. Art dealers talk art mumbo jumbo to support and give value to their wares. I am an art maker, not an art talker. That is why this type of discourse is boring to me. However, this stream of thought brought visions of being at art openings and seeing all the art aficionados yap away. Artists are in their own little world. We symbolize just one of zillions of societal microcosms. We do and act certain ways to gain acceptance from our peers and ourselves. That is why I understood the blog's blah, blah, blah. I have been trained in that language. I just use it rarely. Even our art speaks our own individual languages. Some understand what we are saying some do not. However, our set of behaviors and language is no more special that any other microcosm or unique group of people with a particular interest.
Ahhhhh…..finally I got to a point of interest within his blog post. The author also spoke of a YouTube video by A.M. Baggs a.k.a. silentmiaow. I have read her work before. However, I hadn’t seen her videos. The reason I know of her is because I have worked with individuals with disabilities most of my adult life. A.M. Baggs is autistic. She is not an “artist” as we know that label. She is a human being. Her videos tell of her human story. After watching “In My Language”, I was struck by her candor and insight. Take the time to view her video. It will make you think about the languages we all speak.


“In My Language”: A. M. Baggs
Click to go to Video

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Beautiful, Sheree!

Sheree Rensel said...

This video really makes you think, doesn't it?
:-)
Sheree