Saturday, January 20, 2007

Just Plain B.S.!

Is there any truth left? If so, where is it hiding? Fake images, false truths, lies, imaginary scenarios, and just plain B.S. everyday, all day long, 24/7, surround us. As I watch TV, I see all kinds of examples of B.S. From the politician spouting off promises, to the aspiring singer boasting to the “American Idol” judges, it is all masterfully composed illusions. There are more “artists” around than we think. Creative dishonesty flourishes! Some B.S. is very entertaining. As you stand at the grocery store and look at the tabloid rags, the B.S. filled headlines and photos blast away to create illusions that any Renaissance painter would envy. Some B.S. is hurtful. Look at the state of our country right now. (I will say no more on that bountiful load of B.S.)
There is so much deception there is even a book on this subject!
[snipped: amazon.com review quoting book]
On Bullshit (Hardcover) 2005
by Harry G. Frankfurt
“One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much BS. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share. But we tend to take the situation for granted. Most people are rather confident of their ability to recognize BS and to avoid being taken in by it. So the phenomenon has not aroused much deliberate concern, nor attracted much sustained inquiry.”

I still haven’t made my point. Here it is! Despite all the lies we are told everyday, the WORST B.S. is that which we tell ourselves. We all do it. It is a form of denial. We tell our self we will do this or that tomorrow. We don’t. We tell our self we are fat because of our genes or our age or whatever! That’s a big lie! We are fat because we eat too much and don’t move enough!! We say we will spend 40 hours in our studio this week, we don’t. The list goes on and on. The reason I am writing this is because I got so mad at ME this morning, I yelled at myself! Really, I yelled out loud: “Sheree you are such a B.S.er!!” The irony is that I hate lies, liars, and B.S. I despise that about people and our world. Yet, I am just as guilty as anyone else in the area of self-deception! Yes, I do it every day to myself and I want to stop it right now! Let the truth be told. I can’t control the world, but I can at least be honest with others and myself.



"TRUE"
Click to Enlarge
Acrylic / Mixed Media on Wood
20 X 15

6 comments:

Walker said...

rock on Sheree!
Robin

Casey Klahn said...

Hi, I got here by way of Martha Marshall.
Good post; I bought the "On BS" book for my college buddy, since he takes a dim view of it, too.
I have an analogy from by background as a climber (back in the day). I learned that the ground tells no lies! Fool yourself, and the consequences in rock or ice climbing can be very heavy indeed.
In spite of that, the climber scene is full of world class B.S.ers! Of course, there were also some very classy people, too.
Anyway, it's an analogy from a subculture even smaller than the artist subculture, which I find interesting.
Glad I found your blog.

Philip said...

If you want to make sense of this nut case we live in (I share many of your thoughts that are expressed on this blog) may I recommend the book 'Anam Cara' to you by John O'Donohue. I think you might like it like it.

Philip said...

Sorry - I meant to say 'nut case world'....

Eero said...

You are awesome. I loved your rant----too damned true.

May I put a link to your blog on mine?

Sheree Rensel said...

I am waiting for the "BS" essay right now. Amazon.com will deliver it this week. I already know a lot of its thesis. I really paid attention when the author was on tour.
However for whatever reason, I NEED to read the whole essay right now.
I don't know about you all, but I am freaking out about all the weird, unexplainable, bizarre loose ends that our society is experiencing right now. It has always been weird. Artists are seers; we all know that. Yet it seems like we are living in such a strange time right now. I have always felt lucky to be a late "boomer". I got to live through the era of JFK, RFK, Vietnam, Haight/Ashbury, NASA, the development of technology, etc. I am getting scared now though. Totally CRAZY with capitals!!

Yes eero, link away! All of us need to stick together. The last commune on earth??? YIKES!!!