Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Way We Work

One of the things I love about the Internet is we can see the world from our homes. It is so wonderful to be able to learn about other artist’s lives by seeing their work in image folders, artist websites, or blogs. We can even peek into their studios and see works-in-progress. This is amazing to me! One thing I thought about today is how different artists work. Even though I work in various media, I am a painter. I watch how some painters fill sketchbook after sketchbook with preliminary drawings or paint sketchs. I have never done that. I have tried, but it just doesn’t work for me. I work in two different ways. I carry around images like puzzle pieces floating around inside my brain. One day the pieces come together and I rush to go create that vision. Other times, I work extemporaneously. I set up my workspace, look at the canvas, and just start painting.
Today, I worked in both ways simultaneously. One work is already done in my head. I just have to figure out how to make it look that way in reality. The other work is taking on a life of it’s own. I have no idea what, why, or how it will turn out. I am letting it talk to me.
There isn’t much to look at yet, but here is the start of two new pieces. I can’t wait to see what happens!


Studio 1/21/07
Click to Enlarge

2 comments:

Philip said...

I work in very much the same way - I never do sketches - straight to the canvas for me!

Sheree Rensel said...

Philip,
I used to be jealous of those sketchbook artists. I really was! I tried and tried and tried to be one of them. Then, I realized that just isn't about me. I do have sketchbooks now, but they are filled with loose sketches with words describing what I want to do. I realize now, that is just fine.
Thanks so much for your comment. It makes me realize I am not weird!! LOL
Sheree