Friday, February 9, 2007

Going HOME

There is no place like home. Or is there? I was born in Detroit. I lived there for over thirty years of my life. My daughter was born there. I am a Tiger and Red Wings fan. I have bunches of memories developed along the shores of the Detroit River. However fifteen years ago, I moved to Florida. Oh YES!! I am definitely a Floridian now. I cringe at the thought of weather below 80 degrees! I love my overgrown yard and the butterflies that drift all over year round. I live 1.8 miles from the Gulf of Mexico (I know this because the insurance agent told me about this measurement to explain why I couldn’t get homeowners insurance. Too Risky!!!)
All this doesn’t matter. I am a Detroit girl. I have no idea why I feel such a pull. Let’s see, palm tree lined streets or Cass Corridor???? Hmmmmmmmm, let me think about this (???) LOL LOL LOL
It really doesn’t matter or make sense. There is something about your HOME that is meaningful on a very spiritual, primal level. I have the opportunity to drive the length of the barrier islands along the Tampa Bay shore adjacent to the Gulf on any given day. However, there are moments when I long to ride the length of Woodward Avenue. Tampa Bay is blue. Lake Huron is a weird gray-mud color. Yet, I daydream about walking into the muck along the shores of Port Huron and remember those sunburned days.
Oh, and don't get me started about the ART!! HA!! No contest!! The art in Detroit is world class. The art in Detroit is aware; the art in Detroit is current and relevant. St. Petersburg art is something different.
Home…….Home………Yes, St. Pete is where I live, but Detroit is my HOME.
I love you Deeetroit. Great city, I ask you to stand up to the power you have instilled in your children.


“Am Fluss” = “The River”
Acrylic/Collage on Paper
24” x 24”
Click to Enlarge

No comments: