Thursday, February 15, 2007

It is so difficult to SLOW down

Artists have it different. I can remember years ago having the revelation, simply put, “I wish I could do that! This response was a reaction to a person coming home from his job, plopping on the couch, watching TV until it was time to go to bed, and wake for the next day of work. The majority of artists can’t do that. We have so much to do. Many of us work a day job. We can’t wait to get off work to do our other work. There are paintings to be painted. There are shows to be entered. There are ideas to be worked out. GO GO GO We have no down time.
When I went on my little photo shoot this weekend, I watched the sailboats in the bay. I was amazed there are people who relax and do nothing. That isn’t such a bad idea. I just have to learn how to do it!
I am trying to do that now. Right now, I am looking out my window and looking at the clouds. I am looking at the trees and the birds going from branch to branch. There is a little voice in my brain that says “Sheree, go do something productive!!” OK OK OK I am listening, but not reacting.
There are times when we artists need to SLOW DOWN. Look at those clouds. Look at those birds. Look at those sailboats and try to understand the concept of relaxation and meditation. HA!!! Oh yeah, I know those on the sailboats probably have a “party” attitude. That isn’t all that bad either. However, the most important thing is to try to embrace the idea of doing nothing to be able to do something better. I guess I want to be more alert to the various states of conscientiousness. I want to be alert and notice the things around me and what is happening in the world. I want to gather these images and ideas to make art with substance.
In other words, it doesn’t always have to be frantic. If I can learn how to slow down, I think my art will be better for it.

“St. Petersburg sailboat on Tampa Bay”

No comments: