Tuesday, February 13, 2007

We are in so much trouble!

Ok so today I was speaking with some teenagers. I spoke of Maya Angelou and Jean-Michel Basquiat. I didn’t expect them to know about Jean-Michel. However, I assumed the kids would react to the mention of Maya Angelou and her poetry. As I spoke and told the story, the kids looked at me like I was an alien. I showed them a picture of Maya and still…..no reaction. I could not believe this. For goodness sake, I saw Maya on a Target commercial today!!! That is fine and dandy except for the fact she is probably the most notable African American writer of this and the last century. Yet, the kids don’t have a clue.
Every day during my day job, I hear the “F” word and the “N” word on the hour. There isn’t a shred of remorse or apology. In their eyes (or more appropriately, their expected image and attitude), they call me the white, cracker, B(&$ch. Despite my maturity that you would think would prevent me from taking it personally, I am devastated. I am just trying to help them make their lives more meaningful. I want to help them help themselves to see and feel the wonder of life. They don’t want any part of it.
Is it I? I feel as if I am losing my mind. Many teenagers have no interest in learning. There is no interest in seeing life as an opportunity to make a difference. They don’t care about much of anything, let alone many important and meaningful issues. From my experiences, they seem to care about money and getting it ANY way possible. They don’t care about their future or your future or anybody’s future. They live for the now. They don’t seem to care about thinking. I guess this is the new state of “BE”. Moreover, they seem to be more interested in FEELING good at this moment. Well yeah, who doesn’t. However, you have to accept the consequences of that type of conscientiousness.
This is our future. To me it is scary.


“Cultural Virus”
Acrylic/Collage on Canvas
10” X 10”
Click to Enlarge

2 comments:

gordon said...

Sheree,

Interesting post, Sheree. You've absolutely nailed the whole point of life in my opinion. To be happy, one has to find a life with MEANING. Chasing dollars is a hamster wheel.

Keep being you.

cheers,
Gord
http://leverton.wordpress.com/

Sheree Rensel said...

Gordon,
My post isn't only about chasing money. I understand the need and desire for money. I love money. However, I have just never been materialistic. I am sad because so many in today's society don't see or seek meaning. It seems that many live for the moment and want the "stuff". Who cares about why we are all here or if there is an honorable purpose to our lives.
Thanks so much for responding. Now I know there are at least two of us on the planet that think there just has to be more about life.
:-)
Sheree