Friday, March 2, 2007

Mortality

I don’t know if you would call this irony or synchronicity. I got so busy and overwhelmed this week with day job issues; I just didn’t have the energy to post to this blog. I knew for sure that my next post would speak about mortality and how we need to be cognizant of all aspects of our well being. Since this has been on my mind a lot lately, I have been trying to make good choices and make my life healthier. One thing led to another and I didn’t post for a couple of days. Then today, I found out that a friend was killed last night. He was a young (almost) man. He was only 17 years old. I have known him since he was a little kid. His death has rocked my world because there was no good reason for his death. He was a sweetie. He had a huge heart. He was funny. He was a joy. Yes, he had challenges. In fact, he had difficulties with ADD and Autistic type symptoms. I am absolutely sure these played a roll in his death.
How did he die? He was crossing the street at 6pm last night and got hit by a Mack truck. This was an accident. He just didn't notice the truck as he went to cross the intersection. In no way would I think of pointing a finger of blame on the driver or the boy. It was a mistake; it was an accident.
My sadness today makes me realize mortality is such in intense issue. We are here now. There is no guarantee about the duration of our stint on this earth. All we can do is live today and make the best choices in hopes of a tomorrow. That’s it.
I love you Torey. You will always be in my heart. I hope you start art classes in heaven!!


“Healthy”
Acrylic/Collage on Canvas
Click to Enlarge

No comments: