Saturday, April 14, 2007

Have you ever done this?

Rarely have I ever done this: overworked a painting. For some magical reason, I have always been satisfied with the end result of the works I create and intuitively known when to STOP. However for the first time, I think I ruined a painting I have been working on. I am sick about it.

I was DONE with this painting and brought it into my house to look at it for a while. It sat there for a day or two and I admired it. The other night, I decided it just needed "something else". I took it into my studio and started painting. The next morning, I went out there and it looked awful. I have been reworking and reworking it for the past few days. I can't get it back to the way it was or get it to a point in which a resolution is satisfactory. I am totally bummed out.

Have you ever done this? If so, do you just trash the bad piece and start over or do you keep trying to revive the overworked piece?

2 comments:

Sue at mishmoshart said...

I just came across your blog through artblogs 4 u, and looked at your site, and I love your work!!You use great bright colors and I love your subject matter. Really awesome!! I tend to do my work in bright colors and its so nice to see other people doing it too!! I make artdolls, artquilts, etc. check them out if youre bored! at www.mishmoshart.com
Sincerely, Sue@mishmoshart.com

Eero said...

Ahhh...overworking.
Yes, I've done it, and your description of how you felt about it was perfect...I've been there, too.

What I did was put the painting away for a week, didn't look at it at all, then brought it back out and looked at it with a fresh eye.
I could see how it could be "saved" to some extent. Sadly, I don't have a happy ending story---I couldn't get that painting back to it's best point, I just got it back to 'bearable.'
Good luck.