Friday, April 6, 2007

“National UNPLUGGED Day”

I have been sick with the flu the past three days. Besides feeling awful physically, I am about to go crazy mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Being a prisoner of the couch cushions and having only enough energy to watch TV for hours on end, I am more convinced than ever that this world is going berserk. It seems 98% of the information that is broadcast is either stupid celebrity gossip (who cares???), violence/vulgarity, reality shows ad nauseam (I feel sick enough), or journalists arguing politics.
I couldn’t take it anymore so I decided to log onto the computer to find something of merit to ponder. Oh yeah, right!! Ha ha ha! Let’s see here….AOL welcome screen greets me with a terrible picture of Hillary with her eyes popping out of her head like a bobble head doll advertising a horror film. Stories about Angelina, filthiest cities, dangers in your home, and richest zip codes call out from the white screen for my attention. I don’t think so. I don’t want to lend energy to any of that.
This made me think about how we are all so attached and addicted to our electronics. Televisions, computers, cellphones, blackberries, and other gadgets all qualify. Besides turning our brains into tapioca pudding and disconnecting our personal relationships, it seems our electronic dependence is filling our lives with the loud hiss and crackle of WHITE NOISE.

I did find something to think about with my “sick” imagination. Daydreaming, I envision a new holiday. I propose a day called “National UNPLUGGED Day”. YES!! It would be like an electronic INTERVENTION! That would be a great idea!
I am going to go grab a book now.

Wouldn’t it be nice to just UNPLUG once in a while?

No comments: