Friday, May 25, 2007

Dr. Maya Angelou

As you know, yesterday was the first day of my 81-day vacation. I worked on my art. Also, I started to clean my house. Then, I went to see Dr. Maya Angelou speak! I knew before I went, this was a once in a lifetime experience and would be incredible. After seeing and hearing her, I can say that is an understatement! She is so wise and honest. Also to my surprise, she is hysterically funny! She had the audience laughing so hard! She is a funny lady!!! She is so confident; she is very willing to laugh at herself and her experiences. I was mesmerized. I am so thankful I got to see her. She is 79 years old, seems in great health, but nobody lives forever. As I watched her, I thought "I want to be that way at 80!" Even when she spoke of tragedy, there was strength and calm she exuded that was palpable.

The theme was being a "Rainbow in the Clouds". She spoke about all the people who have had an effect on her life and ultimately, helped to make her who she is today. This was a synchronistic concept for me. I already know I have made a difference in a lot of lives and have thought about this a lot recently. Likewise, I frequently think about all the people who have had an effect on my life.
She went on to speak about how we are all unique. We are the only ones who can live OUR lives. I say, YES! I understand that completely. She ended with the question: "Who will think of you as a "Rainbow in the Clouds"?
That question made me smile. Considering I have taught hundreds of troubled kids for years and years, I know for sure I have TRIED to be the rainbow for thousands! This was my way of making a difference. How about you?


Dr. Maya Angelou in St. Petersburg
Click pic to go to article

No comments: