Monday, June 4, 2007

Artistic OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I am in such a weird place right now. I am in one of my OCD phases. Everything has to have order. Of course, I realize this is a control issue. I want to control my environment and in my case this trait expresses itself through bizarre rituals of organization and cleanliness. It is hereditary. My mother wasn’t around all that often, yet the few memories I have of her are filled with a very scary obsession to clean. She used a vacuum like a weapon! I can remember her going back and forth, back and forth, stroking the carpet with this wild-eyed look. I knew from experience not to speak to her during those moments and to go hide in my bedroom when that happened. In one place we lived, my sisters and I weren’t allowed in the living room. God forbid if we got footprints on the carpet or butt marks in the couch. Looking back, I am actually shocked there weren’t plastic covers on all the furniture with a velvet rope blocking the entrance!
My current wave of OCD all started last week when I ordered new shelves for my studio. I installed those. Then, I went on a rearranging rampage. There have been times when I thought I was going absolutely, certifiably nuts. I had to have a place for everything without “visual distractions”. Only people who have this kind of malady would understand. The shelves have to look right. I have to have a place for everything and it has to look orderly.
I decided to get tubs for my paint. I made labels for those: RED, YELLOW, BLUE, etc., all my hardware drawers and boxes. I got jars for all my little mosaic glass, beads, and odd trinkets. Experiencing the thrill of an addict, I filled those jars with bits of stuff with a sigh of relief. The sad thing is that I have been putting off making art until I feel organized. Things have to have order. They just do.
P.S. If any of you need plastic jars, go to www.usplastic.com
They are a great company with excellent service!









2 comments:

gilda said...

Sheree we are on the same wavelength! I love this plastic box site! Got anymore great sites like this? One of the places I liked to visit most was this store in Troy called ORGANIZED LIVING.....boxes and crates and shelves and bottles and bins galore!

Harry Truman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.