Sunday, June 10, 2007

Stupid Art World Stuff

I was reading art blogs yesterday and I read one post that made my head hurt. It spoke about local art aficionados making lists of the “BEST ARTISTS” in that regional area. That label, “Best Artist” makes every cell in my body want to revolt. It sets off all my neurotic tendencies. It makes me want to scream. It makes me want to puke! I know there are those who will think “What’s wrong with that?” There has to be a BEST, right? WRONG!!!
I don’t see art making as a competition. I see art as an expression of the artist’s self. This “best artist” concept seems so pretentious and misguided. All kinds of questions come to my mind: The BEST at what? What criteria are used for selection? Why is there a need to compare one human being to another? Who gets to decide who is the best / worst? What is the motivation of the judge to call one artist better than another? This entire line of thinking makes me crazy!! I suppose that is why I steer clear of the “art world” at large. I make my work, send it out, and keep a low profile. This is for the sake of my sanity.
My good friend, artist Gilda Snowden sent me an article about Sigmar Polke. The headline was “The reclusive Sigmar Polke applies his signature technique and intuition to prepare for the Venice Biennale.” The article told of how he shuns publicity and stays to himself most of the time. Of course, he is lucky because his “name” and history draws attention to his work without the need to immerse himself in art world B.S.
I don’t have a big name, but I still refuse to buy into all the stupid, moronic, and infuriating machinations of the art world. It might cost me money, but my peace of mind is priceless!

”You Bug Me”
5” X 7”
”Sight Bite Series”
Click to see more!

2 comments:

tammy vitale said...

I agree about "the best," and happen to think juried shows keep much really good work away from the masses. Like everything else, it's who you know, not what you do (and I say that having gotten into juried shows).

manekineko said...

Yeah I couldn't agree more ... totally hate juried shows and projects.

But not all calls for art are juried, there are quite a few projects listed at mailart.org if you are interested.