Sunday, July 1, 2007

America the Beautiful: Taking it for granted

Watching the TV show “Sunday Morning”, I was unexpectedly brought to tears. The end of the show featured a huge room of immigrants being sworn in to become American citizens. They interviewed some of the candidates. Their stories were touching and their gratitude was obvious. Some were tearful even speaking of the honor of becoming citizens of our wonderful country.
I tend not to be a flag waver. Of course, I love my country. I am mash potato, Midwest girl! However, I realized this morning, how we natural born citizens take our home for granted too often. Maybe it is human nature to complain. Perhaps we feel entitled. All I know is we are the luckiest bunch of people on earth. We should appreciate this. I do!
Happy 4th of July!!

Click here to see more art from this AMERICAN artist!”