Friday, July 20, 2007

How do YOU work?

After posting yesterday, I finished another one! “Amazed” is an additional painting which is part of the “States of Feeling” series. I had started “Calm” and “Amazed” at the same time. I love it when things just magically come together and I complete work. That brought me to think of how I work. It is interesting how ideas come and go. Also, I am seeing such a pattern of work habits. One thing that is interesting to me is how sometimes I visualize the painting before it is done. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. One positive of seeing the painting is that you have a definite direction and things can progress quickly. The negative of having premonitions is if your skills or circumstances encountered during the process sometimes don’t fit the vision.
Another method of creating is just starting a painting and seeing what happens. I do that quite often. I started a new painting last night. The vision was foggy. I started working and just let the paint flow, literally. This morning I rushed out into the studio and smiled. I know the direction this piece is going now. Yet, I am not sure of the way it will look at the end. This is a fun and facinating thing. The down side of just letting go and letting the paint take you places is the possibility of hitting a dead-end or losing interest. I have a bunch of canvases like that hanging around!
So how do you work and find creative direction?
Here’s my newest, “Amazed”!


”Amazed”
Acrylic on Canvas
24” X 24”
Click to see Detail

2 comments:

Cath Sheard said...

What stunning colours in Amazed - really eye catching and celebratory.
I have read a lot of your posts just now and find your writing interesting; you sound so in touch with the power of the universe. Bless you :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Cath! No BLESS YOU!!! Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how important your comment is to me! Yesterday, I painted; I rearranged art on the walls of my house so I could hang "Amazed" so I could LOOK at it for a while. I worked on making some "art" tote bags. I had planned on posting on this blog too. However I came here, looked at all the posts, and thought, "What is the point?" Over tired, I lay in a heap on the couch and began to think about all this stuff I do. I was in a blue mood and felt over isolated. I actually started praying out loud. I asked the Universe to help me realize there are people out there who care about what I do and all this work matters. I guess I just wanted a "sign". I am happy to say, I woke up this morning in a bubbly, ambitious mood. I couldn't wait to get painting. After seeing this comment, it gave a bigger boost. Also, even though there are times when I feel my attempts at being in touch with the UNIVERSE can be elusive, this morning, I accept your words as a message from my source.
I THANK YOU for that!
:-)
Sheree