Saturday, July 28, 2007

Send me a sign

“The best way to go into an unknown territory is to go in ignorant, ignorant as possible, with your mind wide open, as wide open as possible and not having to meet anyone else's requirement but your own.”
Dorothea Lange

I have laughed often when I have heard young stars explain their good fortune. Repeatedly, they mouth words like “I have worked so hard, I deserve this!” or “If someone has a dream, passion, and works very hard like me, great things will happen!” A-huh…. I believe this to a degree. I totally believe in the work ethic. I believe in having passion and dreams. The part that is a bit hard for me to swallow is a 24 year old telling all of us about their life struggles and hard work. Also, they seem to forget and omit mentioning the LUCK FACTOR. Don’t take this the wrong way. I understand what they mean. I am quibbling because I feel their naive statements don’t express the whole truth. Yes, if you work hard things will happen. Yes, sometimes your dreams come true. However, sometimes you work hard and your dreams don’t come true (at least the way you imagined them.)
Whenever I am trudging along on something with my work ethic on high, I always wonder what will come of it. I know from life experience, things happen for reasons. Also, I believe those reasons come together to form an end result. It is like lining up all your life lessons. Some events in your life don’t make sense. Some are irritating. Sometimes things that happen seem downright stupid. With time, the progression of life lessons act as a puzzle coming together one piece at a time.
Despite the uncertainly, we keep moving. We keep working hard. We hold on to our passions and dreams. As Dorothea Lange stated our minds are “as wide open as possible”. This is so important. With our minds open, full of anticipation, and optimism, we create the opportunity for the Universe to manifest the best outcomes possible. However in times of uncertainty or wandering in unknown territory, it sure would be nice if the Universe would just send us a sign.



”Is Everybody Happy?”
Acrylic / Mixed Media on Canvas
16” X 20”
Click to enlarge

2 comments:

self taught artist said...

I agree with you completely. I would also say that things dont happen for 'a reason' they just happen and we GIVE them reasons. yeah?
right time/right place, things happen that seem like they have no reason but everything ultimately means something if we want it to. good or bad.
i like your writing, just found you via the intrepid art collector...

Sheree Rensel said...

You know "self taught", I have been thinking about your comment for a few days. The part about things "just happen and we GIVE them reasons" really had me thinking. I never thought of it that way. I still don't know if I intentionally make up reasons. I look at events in the past and see how they effected what played out after. In other words, I have seen how both good and bad events work in tandem to fit pieces of my life together like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Thanks for giving me something to thing about. Also, thanks so much for reading my blog!!
:-)
Sheree