Monday, August 13, 2007

A weird one

I remember a long time ago reading “for every ten paintings, an artist might get one good one.” I think of that often. While I have been working on my “States of Being” series, I just keep making them sans judgment. THEN, I did this one. I am not judging whether it is bad or good. I just can’t get over how it is so different.
I thought I finished it three days ago. I had it out ready to photograph. Then, I started looking at it. Actually, I was quite obsessive. I would put it in the kitchen. Then I would move it to the computer room. I would lean it against the door. I would take it in my bedroom. I would put it in all these unexpected places just so I could surprise myself with its image. This is because I am trying to figure out what I am thinking about it!!!! Finally, I realized it wasn’t right. I took it back into the studio and worked for two more days. It is so strange now. I know it is done. I don’t have a definitive opinion. Yet, I can’t take my eyes off of it. It is different in many ways from the others I have done so far. This is a good thing. It is a bad thing. I have to put it in another room for a while so I can go visit it. In a few months, I will see how this piece affects my future paintings.

FREE
”States of Being” series
Click to Enlarge

No comments: