Sunday, September 16, 2007

Art SCAMMED..(Well they tried)

I have worked with computers since the 70’s. I have been online since 1996. I have gotten my share of phishing scam emails from Nigeria, South America, foreign lotteries, and bunches of other idiots. However, I had never been “art scammed”. Well, I guess I am coming UP (?) the world. I became a potential art scam victim this week. What a crock of shit!! Here is how it went down. I got an email from
tina_brown100 at yahoo.co.uk I received the following email from “Tina”. Notice the bizarre wording, misspelled words, poor typing, and awkward composition of this email.
_____________________________
#1
**This following message was sent to you by a person who found your
artwork on Artists Space's Artists File Online website.
www.artistsspace.org/artistsfile Please report any problems or concerns
regarding this email to artfile@artistsspace.org

Hope this message finds you well ,I came across your web page while
searching for good artworks and I will like to buy some of these creative
artworks directly from you which i think will be perfect for my walls

Fresh Start
2007-04-18 17:44:24
Acrylic on Arches
36\" x 24\"

Universal Dump
2007-04-18 17:50:57
Acrylic/Mixed Media on Canvas
24\" x 24\"

I will be happy to have these selected artworks in our new home.What are
their prices exclusive of shipping cost? We are travelling from our
Alabama home to our new apartment in London, I will appreciate an earlier
reply. Thanks.
Best Regards
Tina
________________________________
AFTER READING THIS EMAIL, I KNEW IT WAS A FRAUD. I PLAYED ALONG TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT. I TOLD HER SHE WOULD HAVE TO PICK SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE ONE OF THE WORKS MENTIONED
WAS UNAVAILABLE. THE NEXT DAY SHE RESPONDED WITH THIS EMAIL:
________________________________

#2
Thanks so much for your response to my query about those creatives works.
I am presently away in London for my twin sister's wedding even though
it comes at a time when i was preparing for a big move and also expecting
a baby but it means so much to her. I should back in some few days.

Yes,i will like to proceed with the purchase
"Watching"
Mixed Media/Acrylic on Canvas
$1000. and Universal Dump" is $2000. artworks .
I think they are lovely works that will add alot of colours to our new
wall.

Meanwhile,i will like you to forward your mailing address and phone
number so i can inform my husband to send you payment by a cashier check
asap for the payment for those creative artworks.

And also I can also forward your contact info to the local cartage
company that will be moving all our house decors so they can get in touch
with you to arrange shipping details. They can arrange pick up FedEx pick
up of the artworks from your gallery.

I will look forward to hearing from you so i can know how best to
proceed. Cheers.

Best Re gards
_____________________________________

It is very obvious these emails are from a scum bag on a mission. The weirdest part of all this is the scammer actually went to my website to find a second offering! She took the time to look through my art, and picked another piece to use for this hoax. How bizarre is that? This is a shipping/check scam. There is a link at the bottom of this post if you want more info on how this scam proceeds if the victim is gullible enough to take the bait. However, if you ever get a suspect email, simple “Google” the email address. That will give you clues as to whether that email address has been used for scams.
I feel so sad. Why artists?? This is so low. Artists are one of the last groups of people on earth to target for money. However, I understand the strategy. Artists are so vulnerable and eager to sell their work. They want to think the best of people and could get carried away with the romance of selling thousands of dollars of work online. I mean really, wouldn’t that be a wonderful reality. I can’t help but understand how some artists would/could fall for this scam. However, if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. So to all my optimistic artist friends out there, just be careful. There are assholes out there. Moral turpitude is a common attribute in our world today. Sad, but true.


Hey “TINA” buy (BITE) this!!!
Click pic!
The “Tinas” of the world shouldn’t be called “scammers”.
I think SCUMmers is more appropriate.
Click this link for more info about shipping/check scams

3 comments:

self taught artist said...

have you thought about going on the road as an artist/comedian? (instead of artist teacher to the crazed?)
you make me cackle, the 'tina bite this art', my god you are brilliant...I feel release just looking at that.
i'm so happy i found your blog...i feel less alone as a lone artist.

Sheree Rensel said...

Paula,
I am so glad I make you laugh!! That one of my favorite attributes! I make people laugh all the time. You have to be the kind of person that "gets" my sense of humor. I guess you are one of those people. People tell me all the time I am funny. Sometimes at work, I go up to the front office just to get the secretaries laughing. When I see that I have the ability to make people crack up, it reminds me of my dad. He used to be that way too. I guess it is in the genes.
Tee HEE
Sheree
(P.S. Glad you like Hizzum Skizzum. That is one of my favorites too!! It is about my mental illnesses. LOL LOL LOL)

self taught artist said...

then you got good genes :)