Sunday, September 30, 2007

Life Reviews

There are times in everyone’s life some event or feeling will spark the onset of a life review. The REVIEW might take the form of one fleeting image or quick memory of the past. However, sometimes they take the form of a tsunami of emotions and years of memories. I have had a wonderful life full of ups and downs. I am sure it would be considered scandalous if judged by some. It would be considered tame by others.
From the time I was a teenager and entered adulthood, one of my mentors and life directors has been Joni Mitchell. From the times of Woodstock and the Blue album, I have always used her words and sounds as my life theme songs. In recent years, I tried to move on and listen to many other artists. However, Joni’s music is the fabric of my soul and it always will be.
Joni Mitchell released a new CD titled “SHINE” this week. I preordered it with a bit of hesitation. I guess my hesitance came because I didn’t know what to expect. It has been a while since Joni has released anything new. As her art grew, so did the styles of her work. Artistic growth is mandatory, great, and good. However, I have always loved her early work. Wondering what would be on this new CD was worrisome. I just didn’t know what to expect from my Joni genius. I bought it anyway, waited for it to be released and delivered. It came today. In fact, I am listening to it now.
For those of you who are Joni fans, you will not be disappointed. It seems this CD is a perfect complilation of the old and new. With each track, I smile. The instrumental intro “One Week Last Summer” sets the tone and mood. As soon as the track starts playing, I can’t help but smile. It is as if the piano, mellow sax riffs, and Joni’s faint hums all provide notes, which fall over me, like a soft, warm, familiar blanket. I am back in Joni heaven again. As the tracks proceed, there are new words and old flavors all at the same time. Yes, this work will bring back a life review of memories, but it will also help to create new ones too! BRAVO!
Oh Joni, you do SHINE!

No comments: