Friday, October 12, 2007

Process vs. Product

I went to my business class this week. I had a great revelation. I know now why I have been pushing all this stuff into the background. To sit and listened about business, forming your own company, market feasibility, taxes, etc., you realize fast it is excruciatingly and unbelievably boring. However, I realize it is a necessary evil. I sat through the entire class. I still have more classes to attend this month. I will go.
I am doing this because I want to hear the words. I want to learn the lingo. I want to start to set my mindset in motion. Even though I hated the class, I have been thinking about the lesson for the past two days. I have been thinking about these foreign concepts. I have already done SOME of it. I have had a business license. I have sold my art. I have marketed in a wimpy way. However, I have never done it full force. I have never taken charge and done it like a true business. Like I have said before, I let others do that for me. I think those days are gone. I want control. I want to learn how to do all this myself. I don’t want to give my art to others to sell, disrespect, lose, or destroy. In fact, that is one of the reasons I stopped avidly doing the gallery thing. I am tired of paying for everything and getting damaged work back or work back due to no sales. I want to just do it myself.
Now I will explain the title of this post. I am a PROCESS artist. That is what has always been the most important. I find the experience of making art the absolute, paramount priority. I know this is idealistic and maybe, stupid. In our world of commerce and product, this philosophical question doesn’t hold water. Our society is attuned to those who sell widgets. I don’t see my art as widgets. There lies the problem.
Even as a teacher, this has been an issue. I can say that I don’t care about grades or products for school system art shows. I really don’t. I care that my students have the opportunity to experience the creative process. That is what is most important. I don’t care if the outcome sucks. I care that each student had the experience of solving the problem and expressing their response via art materials. If it doesn’t look like a masterpiece, I feel like “Oh well” and it is unimportant to me.
I picked my painting “Fresh Start” to illustrate this post. I did this on purpose. The reason is two fold. I have been asked by customers to buy this painting. I have always refused to sell it. This painting is MY painting. It represents my mantra. We always need “Fresh Start"’s over and over again. I sit each night and look at it. Now each day is a fresh start and I want to remind myself of this. I have to figure out how I can create a fresh start relating to the business aspects of my art career. Oh my, it sounds so easy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm……….

No comments: