Tuesday, November 20, 2007

THANKFUL COUNTDOWN #3
My HOME

Some of you might not get this post. Having a house and a home might be something that has always been there for you. I have never been homeless in the true sense of this word. I never had to live on the streets, but there sure have been a few close calls. There have been moments when I surely had no HOME. No matter how much art success I obtained, I still didn’t have enough money to buy a HOME. I was busy raising my daughter, paying bills, and surviving. Six years ago, I FINALLY had enough money to buy a house. After living in apartments for so long, I had saved up a series of visions that illustrated how I wanted my future home to be. As soon as I moved into my new bungalow, I got busy. I wanted to make my house MY HOUSE. The biggest compliment I get is when someone who knows me comes through the door and says “Oh my gosh! This house looks like YOU!”
I smile a huge smile.
Now this may not seem like a big deal, but it means a lot to me. Back 25 years ago, I was doing a lecture about my art at an art association. At that time, my portfolio consisted of crude, primitive, architectural sculptures. After the lecture was over, I went to the bathroom. An audience member was in there. She looked at me and said “After seeing your little house sculptures, it seems you are looking for a HOME!” Her statement hit me like a brick. I was.
Years later, I thought of that woman during the closing when I bought my house. I have a home, my HOME. HOORAY!! I struggled with the decision of what photo to use for this post. My house is so visual. I decided to use this little sampler. I found it at thrift shop right after buying my house. The weird thing is the embroidered image IS my house right down to the yellow, red, and green. The main part of the house is to the left. Then, there is a little addition on the right that is my studio. Finding this little artistic replica of my house is an experience that encourages me to believe in Universal Principles. Very spooky, but comforting.


All my life, I wanted a HOME. I have that now.
I am ever so thankful!

No comments: