Monday, November 19, 2007

THANKFUL COUNTDOWN #4
Being an ARTIST

Last Friday, a woman I work with asked what I would be doing during my vacation. I told her I would be painting in my studio and making movies for YouTube. She said “Movies? About what?” I said I am making movies about art. She scrunched her nose and said “Ohhhhhhhhh, I thought they would be about something I was interested in…..” I walked away not knowing whether to laugh or cry. A few minutes later I realized I felt so sad for her. I can’t imagine a life without art.
I was born an artist. I knew I was meant to be an artist before I started school. At that time, I didn’t know being a creative person had a name. My uncle was a painter. I remember going to visit him when I was four years old. His living room had an easel in the middle, canvases lining the walls, and the potent aroma of turpentine drifting in the air. I didn’t think anything about his lack of furniture. I can remember thinking in my preschool mind “I don’t know what he is doing, but I want to do this!” So, I was very lucky. I had a head start honing my creative skills from a very early age. There hasn’t been a time in my life when I wasn't making, building, painting, or thinking of creative things to do.
Even though I don’t sell enough work to support the “lifestyle I desire”, being an artist has helped me experience many interesting employment situations. I know I have complained about my current JOB. However, if I have to work somewhere, it might as well be there. I am allowed to be creative and help others find their artistic spirit too. Also, it gives me the funds and security to support being the kind of artist I want to be.
I think right now I am having the best time in my art life. I am more creative now than ever. Age has helped my sense of humor grow. I certainly make myself laugh every day as I am creating. Also, the years have taught me to appreciate my art gifts and never take them for granted.


As an artist, I even love the messes I can create!
God made me an ARTIST and I am truly THANKFUL!

No comments: