Saturday, November 17, 2007

THANKFUL COUNTDOWN #6
Being AMERICAN

I have never been a flag waver or political. My first recollection of being American (whatever that meant) was in elementary school. I remember hearing about the commies and how they were going to come and get me. I had nightmares about air raid drills. My childish mind wondered if climbing under my school desk would be protection enough. Duh!!! Do you think? I remember when John F. Kennedy died. I didn’t understand the word “assassinated”. I think watching the funeral on TV was the first time I realized how being American was something very special.
Now I watch TV and I am continually reminded how lucky I am to have been born in the U.S. Even though our current politics are maddening, I still think this is the best place to be in our world. The sheer abundance of our American lives can be taken for granted. When you go shopping, do you ever really stop and LOOK at what is available to us? The richness and variety of services, goods, and opportunity are truly breathtaking.





When I bought my house, I decided to buy a flag. I had never owned a house before. I had never owned a flag either. Now, I get so excited on one of the days you are supposed to put up your flag. I am proud of that flag now. I am not proud of our wars, but that is a whole bunch of other posts. I am proud of all the good America does and I am proud of our country's positive potential.

So, as I look out my window and see the sun shining, I can say I am THANKFUL I have been given the privilege of being born an American girl.



Also, I thank God everyday that I live under our American sky.

No comments: