Sunday, December 16, 2007

Unconventional Creativity

I know I have very eclectic tastes and a love for those who have unexpected or unconventional artistic spirits. There are so many talented people in the world. We are all born with the creativity gene. We just use it (or don’t use it) to varying degrees. For example, we can all play piano. Some of us plunk “Chopsticks”, while others are master pianists who play concerts.
Likewise, anyone can throw paint on a canvas. However, there are those who make it their life work, learn, grow, and discover themselves through this endeavor. Regardless of the medium, I thoroughly enjoy finding artists who surprise me. The older I get, the harder it is to do. The more life you live, the more you have seen. Discovering something that makes you sit alert and be mesmerized is a true joy.
I was wearily wondering around the internet the other night trying to combat boredom. I came across a video of an indie rock musician Joanna Newsom I heard her voice on another artist’s webpage. At first, the sqeaky, pitchy squeals sounded like a child’s voice. However as the song continued, I was taken in by the melody and repetition. The sound was so unusual. The singer was not credited on the webpage. (Arggghhhhh!) So, I listened closely to the lyrics and Googled a phrase. Immediately, I got hits for Joanna. The song is Cosmia. She has a number of CDs out. She plays the harp and sings in such an unconventional manner. That is the wonderful thing about her. She has a unique style. I am sure her audience will be select. However, the content and richness of her performances are far superior to the pop tunes of this era.
She is a true artist.
There is a certain magic here.

2 comments:

suzi blu said...

sheree sherree sherree
sheree sheree sheree!

(its a little song. see, Im singing to you!)

Sheree Rensel said...

Suzi Suzi,
I have ONE "R" in my name.
P.S. I have heard you sing on your videos. My taste isn't THAT eclectic!!! Keep making art!!! LOL LOL LOL
Tee HEE HEE