Friday, February 22, 2008

Living the Artist’s Life

I love reading. However, I have to admit, I am stuck in a reading rut. I only like to read about art. Specifically, I love artist biographies and other books covering areas of art life and marketing. Today, I stumbled on a website that spoke of
Paul Dorrell.
He is a gallery director and has written a book.
"Living the Artist's Life"

As I read and looked, I kept thinking. This seems like an interesting book. Why haven’t I read it? Then I kept thinking. Wait a minute. I know I have this book. Why haven’t I read it yet?
When I got home from work today, I made a beeline to my bookshelves. I searched and searched. I FOUND it! There was a bookmark on the 10th page. I can’t remember what distracted me. I don’t know why I didn’t finish. I can say I listened to a radio recording today of an interview with Dorrell. I was impressed. This is what spurred me on to want to read his book. Since I have it in my library already, this is a great thing. It sounds like I will be reading this in the next week. COOL. I love reading and learning.
Obviously, I can neither recommend or steer you away from this book. I haven’t read it yet. However I can say for sure, if you listen to his interview (link below), you will see why I want to read his book. Click and see what I mean.




Dorrell Radio Interview

Click to listen to “Nobody said ART would be Easy”
He is correct.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Oh cool, Sheree! I have the book and I can say it was a fun and informative read. It's directed largely toward young artists just out of school, but there's some great advice throughout, plus great stories about how Paul got his gallery going.

Thanks for the radio link -- it's great! In fact, I listened to Paul when he was interviewed on WMNF in advance of his book signing here in Tampa. Which was what led me to getting the book.

Sheree Rensel said...

Hi Martha! Yes, I have had this book for a while. I just never read it!! LOL I realize it is for less experienced artists. However, that doesn't bother me. I read books for "new" artists all the time. The reasons I do this are two-fold. I like being reminded of the basics. Also, I like relearning things now that I am older and experienced. I see things in a totally new way!
Hope things are going great for you!! :-)