Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What is your STYLE?

Did you ever go to a party, look across the room, and see someone you WISH you looked like? Generally, I have accepted my physical looks over time. However, my Achilles Heel has always been women with pointed noses. HA!! Since I am 4’8” tall, you would think it would be that leggy, model type that would set me dreaming. It isn’t. Everything about me is round. My eyes, my face, my nose, and my features in general are circular. In fact, I could be the model for the “HAPPY FACE”. There is nothing there except a round head with round eyes, round nose, and thin lipped line for a smile. Therefore, when I see anyone with angular features and especially a long, pointed nose, I feel lesser.
All this is just a primer for the point of this entry. I was shuffling through a big stack of books today. All of them were biographies of artists. As I skimmed through the pile, I was amazed at how each artist had their own unique style. Monet, Matisse, Warhol, Kahlo, etc. are all examples of creative styles that are unique to each individual. It amazes me that it is possible to look at a masterwork and immediately recognize the artist. Their style is like a portrait of their personality and documents the method in which they work.
When I was in high school, I wanted to be a realistic painter. I loved the old masters. I wanted to make things look REAL. When I went to the university, making things look REAL wasn’t in vogue. I was taught about Frank Stella, Sol Lewitt, Eva Hesse, et al. Consequently, I learned to make art of a contemporary sort that had nothing to do with realism. Yet there was always a longing. I looked (in secret) at paintings by artists like Audrey Flack and drooled. I still do. However, I realize I have my own style. Even if I try to paint in a photo realistic way, I fail. My painting style is kind of clunky. It resembles the folk artists I also admire. I accept that calling. I am willing to realize this is my style and realize I am always going to have a round nose. That is OK. People recognize me and my art!


"Wheel of Fortune" by Audrey Flack
Even though this is not my style, I can look and appreciate.
Maybe in another life, I will be a photorealist painter with a pointed nose.
Hey, it could happen!! LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey Flack is wonderful! And I woulda never guessed you for being shortish.

Eva

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh YES!! I have always loved her work. I envy the way she paints!!
"SHORTISH", OMG!!! I am a frigin dwarf!!! (Well, not officially gene-wise, but I do qualify to become a member of the "Little People of America"!! LOL LOL
My height never bothered me. It has always worked for me! Also, the size of my BIG MOUTH makes up for any limitations in stature. LOL :-)