Sunday, May 18, 2008

Art Blog: Catalogs and Coincidence

I got such a great surprise in yesterday’s mail. I received a catalog of a show I was in at Kulturhaus Pusdorf in Bremen, Germany. I didn’t even know they were making a catalog. This kind of stuff tickles me. Even though I have been in a lot of exhibitions with catalogs, there is just something exciting about looking through the pages and find something you created. Just looking at your name in print is kind of heady. LOL LOL
The show was called “Am Fluss / By the River”. Obviously, the theme was “rivers”. I just had to do a piece about my Detroit River. I swam in that river as a child. I rode many boats on that river. I looked down on that river as I crossed the Ambassador Bridge. Later in life while doing “beer runs” to Windsor, Ontario, I drove through the river via the underground tunnel! LOL
My Detroit River has many fond memories. So I did a fold out, mixed media collage with text. I sent it over to Bremen, Germany never to see it again. It will be a part of the Kulturehaus Pusdorf collection. I miss that collage. I loved it so. However, I am so glad others got to see it and it will be enjoyed in the future too.
The weirdest part of all this is I have been collecting ideas and stuff for my new art in the past few weeks. This past Friday, a guy I worked with came to me and gave me a huge box of old maps. He said “I thought you might be able to use these.” I looked at the maps and immediately remembered my “Detroit River” collage. I thought of doing some art this summer using maps. Then this catalog came in the mail. Bizarre little coincidence!!
Here is the cover of the catalog and “my” page:




Click to see a large image of this piece on my Mail Art webpage. Scroll down. It’s there.

4 comments:

gilda said...

Hello there, International Artist!

Sheree Rensel said...

What are you talking about? I have been an international artist for a LONG time!! Remember the Motor City show that went to the Institute of Culture down in Mexico? Were you in that? Weren't we in a show in Canada too? I can't remember, it is all a blur. LOL LOL

In the past year, I have had two pieces in Germany, a piece in New Zealand and Australia. I love sending work all over but it is big time EXPENSIVE!!!
S.

gilda said...

I remember those shows...its been a long time. Blur, yes!

How did you hook up with these more recent shows, and what was the nature of the costs?

Sheree Rensel said...

I just emailed you with the scoop!
:-)
Sheree