Monday, May 12, 2008

Art Blog: DING!! Your Turn is OVER

Caveat:
If you get freaky or deny the fact we are all going to die, you might not want to read this entry. It is about my thoughts on dropping dead. LOL LOL

It is going to end. There will be a time when your “turn” is over. We all die. There will come a day when the bell will ring. Time is up! Fininto! The jigs up! You are done! The END!
Gosh, what a scary thought. Sad, but true.
Reality bites!

I remember when the space shuttle blew up. My father who had an eighth grade education said “Where did all those brains go?” Now I know this isn’t a brilliant, articulate, or delicate way of responding to this event. He was doing the best he knew how to do. However, I totally understood and agreed with his perceptions. He was wondering about the essence of the human being. In his simple way, he wondered about all the attributes that work together to make the person. He realized there was more to it than just having a body. His question was sincere and he wondered about all the inner human traits.
Where DOES it all go?
Recently, I checked out Coagula Live Journal and learned of Eugenia Butler’s death. Eugenia was a conceptual artist. You can see her speaking (quite informally) in the video linked below. As I watched the video, she reminded me of me. Now don’t get your panties in a wad. I am not comparing my art to her art or comparing my place to her stature in the art world. I am comparing myself to her as a human being, a female, and an artist. She goes on and on talking about ideas and her perceptions of the world. One idea leads to another and another. I watched that video and thought things similar to my Dad’s thoughts. Where is she now? Where did all those words and ideas go?
I think of death all the time. In fact, I don’t question it. I am just curious as to how it will happen and when. I also wonder what will remain. I will be floating in the wind and after being cremated, I will settle as kitty litter in my back yard. However, where will all my ideas, perceptions, experiences, racing thoughts, energy, and verve go? Will they drift in the wind along with my ashes?

No. They will be right here on my blog, website, and vlog. They will be contained in all my art works. They will be walking around inside the heads of all my students and all the people I have met in my life. I will still be alive, just not in body. That is all we can hope for in this life. We pray for a legacy. I am as sure of mine as I am sure of my eventual demise. Maybe this is why the idea of dying doesn't really bother me. I know who I am. I know what I have done so far. I know for sure, I done good! :-)
I just wonder how much time I have left to do more stuff(?????) Hmmmmmmmm, Don't you wish you knew the date your bell will ding? I do!


Eugenia Butler 1947 – 2008

4 comments:

gilda said...

It WAS difficult to read this post...we here had just found out that one of our local artists, Matthew Blake, had suddenly died of a heart attack. I was at Chido Johnson's reception Saturday when someone told me that Matt had died the evening before. What a shock! He was so young. He was a real presence around here for a long time...he studied at CCS, collaborated on the Millenium Bell sculpture with Chris Turner in 2000, was a part of the Propellor Art group whose hallmark was innovative sculpture, and most recently ran the woodshop at Wayne State. The unpredictability of life indeed. He will surely be missed...

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda, Matthew Blake's death is what inspired me to write this post. I didn't know him, but I am on Stephen Goodfellow's Cass Corridor Tribe mailing list. He sent out an obit with Matthew's picture. He was so young and he looked so healthy!!! When I saw that, I thought about how we never know how long we have on this earth, so we just gotta do our best while we are here.
Sheree

gilda said...

And now Robert Rauschenberg has passed! I wrote on another forum that even though he had been ill, and that he was at an advanced age, it just was still so shocking that he is gone. Everytime you saw him in the media he had a great big grin on his face....as if that smile was the encapsulation of his entire outlook on the art-making life. His arms and fingers were knarled, he walked with a cane and assistance, but he still found joy in experimenting with materials and moving them around in various and sundry ways. Rest in Peace, Mr.Rauschenberg! You will continue to give me hope whenever I think about you and your life's work.

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh my gosh! I just read about Rauchenberg! I can't believe this either. He is my all time FAVORITE artist. I loved his work so much.
It is so weird because all week long, I have been watching this Jasper Johns video on the "Arttivi" website. Each time I watched the video, I realized how Johns and Rauchenburg were the first artists I ever really loved and respected.
Talk about a legacy! He was making great work until the end. So sad.