Thursday, May 22, 2008

Art Blog: Dumbing Down

I thought it was me. I really did. I had heard stories about becoming opinionated and cranky as you age. I guess I was starting to buy into that myth. In the past few years, I have noticed more and more how stilted and one-sided our news coverage appears to be. Now, I know we (AMERICA) have always had an ethnocentric view of the world. It just seems to me to be getting so, so obvious and “in your face” lately. Also, our news is getting more and more DUMB and less and less relevant to important issues in our lives.
All this crap about Britney, Lindsay, Whocaresy???? When Anna Nicole died, my daughter was working for CNN. She wrote me an email and expressed exhaustion. She said the news bureau had gone berzerk trying to cover this celebrity death. Just the idea and imagined visual makes me sick. Are we really this shallow? Are we?
Meanwhile, there is a whole world out there. In this technological age, it is shocking and sad to realize we are told and know very little about our world. We really don’t.
To me, this is very, very scary.



TED video
”We know less about our world”

No comments: