Saturday, May 17, 2008

Art Blog: Louise Bourgeois

I gotta start counting my blessings and thinking of the good parts of my life. I just have to because I am on the downward side of an emotional rollercoaster and it is having an effect on my art life. So I got out a pencil and began to think. Ironically, I mentioned this in an email to my friend this morning. We were tossing around ideas about our lives and art. We are nearly the same age and have a lot of the same stuff swirling around our minds.
Come on Sheree, think. The very first thing that popped into my mind was how lucky I am to be a female artist because I have many very wonderful role models. Historically speaking, quite a few of the female artists who live long lives tend to be just the kind of person I want to be. One of my primary artist mentors is Louise Bourgeois. She is just too cool. She is little and feisty like me. Maybe that is why I have always been drawn to her. I have a video I watch all the time that shows her in her studio working. She is so crusty and funny. She has this “I don’t give a shit about anything (except me and my art)!” kind of attitude. I love that about her. She has such a brusque, yet entertaining sense of humor. I love that about her too. Then there is her art. Her entire lifetime has been spent making absolute treasures.
I have heard about her “show and tells” that take place in her studio on weekends. I only wish I could be a fly on the wall of one of her Sunday salons.
I am not one to bow to celebrity, but it would be so dreamlike to be in the same room with such a force. I would love to have a moment to simply breathe the same air.
Ok…..That was #1. GOOD thing…Now back to my list. Keep writing, Sheree LOL



#1 I have been lucky to know I have a life purpose.
Women like Louise Bourgeois have inspired me to keep making art until the end.
Watch this little video I found.
Breathtaking!

Click here to see another exquisite video at Artivi about her current Paris retrospective.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

What an amazing mind. I love this video. Thanks for finding and sharing it!

Sheree Rensel said...

Martha, I LOVE Bourgeois so much. Not only is her work phenomenal, she is just such a force personality wise. I want to be like her! :-)
Sheree