Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Art Blog: Mr. Rauschenberg

This sounds kind of moronic and juvenile. I have been an artist all my life. I have a “stamp of approval on my forehead (reading M.F.A.) artist” for 29 years. When someone asks, “Who is your favorite artist?” I cringe a little bit. I mean, I have seen so much art and read so much about artists in my life time; I have lost count of the impressions and influences. Yet even though the question is simplistic and very fundamental, I have always responded immediately with “Rauschenberg!”
When I was in grad school, artists like Frank Stella, Lewitt, Pearlstein, Pfaff, Hesse, and a zillion other artists of the 70’s were all the rage. I heard lecture after lecture about their artistic brilliance. Yet, I had heard stories about Rauschenberg before I arrived. I remained loyal to his cause. He has always been my imaginary mentor.
I always loved the life narrative provided by stories about Rauschenberg and his relationship working with Johns. (Jasper Johns is my favorite artist too! It must be a tie!! LOL) I was in the company of John Cage once and he related Rauschenberg stories as they related to his work and life. I was in awe. I loved the way Rauschenberg thought. His “Erased DeKooning” scandal was brilliant. I love watching him speak on any video I can find. For some reason his voice and ideas have always been soothing to me. I have always believed him. I find myself nodding Yes! Yes! Yes! every time I watch.
Then there is the “goat” story. That has been in my mind for years. I love that goat. I love the work. I love Rauschenberg.
Like I said in my last post, there will be a time our turn is over. Robert’s turn ended May 12, 2008. How sad. How happy. We are left with the work of a wonderful artist’s life and ideas. We are so lucky. I am so thankful.


Rauschenberg talking about the GOAT

2 comments:

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Sheree, what a wonderful tribute. And thanks for the video. I had never seen that before. Lovely to watch. And I agree about his voice.

Sheree Rensel said...

Thanks Alyson! You know, I am not one to gloat over celebrity. Not at all. However, Rauschenberg is a great example of an art "star" who I have read about and seen via TV, movies, and video, I feel as if I know him. Not only did I love his art, but I loved everything about him. He seemed like such a gentle soul.
Thanks for the comment!!
:-)