Friday, June 20, 2008

Art Blog: And the point is…?

This is how I get into trouble. I am notorious for this kind of SH**! Many will click off this page fast. They don’t want to read it. No! No! NO! It can’t be. This is too real! Yeah, it is real. It is honest. You know you have done this. Admit it.
Have you ever looked up at the sky and started a prayer to “GOD” or Buddha or Allah or the Universe or whatever you call it, and ask questions? Have you ever wondered why God made you an artist, gave you all the tools and intellect to do it well, but didn’t supply the needed support to keep you going in a “real world” manner? In other words, have you ever looked up and asked “Why did you make me an artist if nobody cares about the stuff I make?”
Oh, oh, oh……This leads to an entirely new conversation. “Well God, maybe I make crappy art. This is why nobody buys it. Is that right? If so, why did you make me a shitty artist and what should I do to change? What kind of art should I make so it will sell?”
Hmmmmmm, hoooooo, wwwaiting…..do I hear an answer????? Be quiet…shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….I know it is coming…..Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm……………..I don’t hear anything. Weird.

“Well, Ok. So God. You know my house is filled with too much stuff. I have made art. I have done the work. I always believed you have been right there with me. I thought I was doing quite well. I thought I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.”

OK, I will listen now again.

Nothing still.
“I realize you are very busy God. I know I am far down on the priority list as it should be. However, I just wanted to leave a message. Should I wait for the beep?....ahhhhh, Well…… I really don’t see the point. Why should I make more ART if I have all this ART taking up all the space of my house? Really. I am serious. I am trying to be logical. Why should I keep creating all this stuff that nobody wants? God? Why?
Listening again.


Still Silence


Yeah, I am speechless too.


If you feel this way sometimes, just click the pic.
You can join me in my prayer circle. LOL LOL LOL! (In other words, I am not trying to be a downer. I am just posing realistic questions. :-)

5 comments:

gilda said...

I say "thank you" a lot. Things happen to me, little occurences mostly, like Kate putting her arm around me for no reason, or seeing Dell Pryor's serenely smiling face as she sits in her wonderful gallery, and I say "thank you, God", under my breath, knowing that He will hear. I was not raised in a church, nor do we attend services, but the spirituality of life has been very much with me, especially at times like this. Or when I see a magnificent sunset. Or when Kate remarks that a crack in the sidewalk resembles a Japanese language phrase that she can interpret.

Often, when I look around at my studio I am confronted by the ever growing 'inventory' of works that grows faster than can ever be sold. Then I ask myself "why" also..but then I fire up the encaustic pot and paint a few more. I am sure Vincent Van Gogh had the same question as he painted another still life or landscape.

The gift of artistic insight must be acknowledged. Temporal situations, like 'sales' or 'acknowledgement' should be ignored if at all possible. I know it is difficult, but we have to continue to pay homage to the true life impetus, which is our muse. Maybe that is why God invented closets, or storage buildings, or, in Vincent's case, sent him a loving sister-in-law to cherish and promote all of those hundreds of paintings no one cared about, purchased, or understood---until the persistence of her curatorship revealed the magic to the rest of the world.

And the rest, is history.

Sheree Rensel said...

I do that too Gilda! In fact, it was so funny because not 5 minutes before I read your comment, I was sitting here eating breakfast. I took a bite out of a lucious orange section and said out loud "Thank you God for this orange!"
I too appreciate what I have more than anyone will know. After having a tantrum about my job situation, I have finally decided to keep my house. I love this house. I think God gave it to me. I have to savour the good things in my life.
I totally understand your explanation of those things for which you are thankful. Now, if I could get Cristen to put her arm around me for no reason, I would be a happy camper. Shoot! I would be eternally grateful if she would just email me once a week!
LOL LOL LOL

gilda said...

Email her. Keep on. She will respond, and respond, and respond. I inundate Kate with text messages, emailed pics, and when I pass by her room, I go in and pat her head. She complains, but deep down she loves it.

JafaBrit's Art said...

I am so with you on this, I frequently ask myself why the heck I bother. But dang, what is the alternative, I can't stop creating, it is my soul.

Having said that I actually saw a piece of my work sold at the gallery. I am happy, but I have come to terms with the fact that no matter how everyone says they LOVE my work, err, it doesn't sell. So I have changed my direction and attitude quite a bit.

Anyway, just wanted to drop by and tell you I enjoyed visiting your blog.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jafa,
I think every artist questions things. If they don't, they are delusional! I sold my first painting back when I was 15 years old. I remember it well. It was a silly oil painting of a lake with swans. Since then, I have been so, so lucky and fortunate. I have had a good art life. However just like life in general, our art lives ebb and flow. I am going through an "ebb" right now like many artists. This too shall pass. We just gotta keep moving!
P.S. I love reading your blog too!
:-)
Sheree