Monday, June 16, 2008

Art Blog: Anti-Social

This is one of my BIGGEST problems. I tend to be anti-social. This may seem surprising to some. I tend to come off as gregarious and friendly in public. However, I am really shy and tend to be alone most of the time. I have tried and tried to be more out and about. It just hasn’t worked for me. I usually end up hugging a wall or sitting silent while others chat away. The entire time I sit thinking I wish I was at home.
I think this has affected my art life. Recently, I read a post by selftaughtartist titled “Clarity”. In it she speaks of asking for help with contacts and general art leads. She goes on to say that she shouldn't complain about certain things because she hasn’t given it her all. I feel this way a lot. I haven’t tried as hard as I could to make certain things happen.
Thinking about her post, I realized I have a pattern. I have seen it repeat itself year after year after year. When I moved to St. Petersburg, I immediately tried to be a part of the art community. I was so accustomed to living an active art life in Detroit. I entered shows, I went to openings, and I tried to make friends. As time passed, the pattern set in. I would start to retreat for one reason or another. Months later, I would be enthusiastic and try it again. The cycle repeats over and over again. Unfortunately, I haven’t wanted to be involved in the local art scene in recent years. I don’t go out. I don’t investigate openings. I don’t try to make art friends. I just stay here and work in my solitary studio, alone.
I am not sure being social would make a difference. I really don’t. I just know that seems to work for many artists. Maybe I should dive into the Tampa Bay art scene once again. At least, I wouldn’t feel so isolated. Just a thought.


“Lonely”
by Sheree Rensel
This is how I feel most of the time.
Shame on me!
Click photo to see more of my anti-social art! :-)

6 comments:

Eva said...

Hey Sheree,

Just noticing that you are in Tampa. Do you know an artist/architect named Jim Fisher? He's there - I knew him when he was in SF and Portland.

As to socializing, I learned that it made a big difference.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
Actually, I am in St. Petersburg which is a bay away from Tampa. Since I don't get out much, Tampa might as well be Georgia to me.
I know socializing makes a difference. It is just hard for me. I do not know the artist you mentioned. In fact, I know very few artists around here. See..PROBLEM!! :-)

self taught artist said...

hey sheree, I kept meaning to comment on your comment you left on my post about sabotaging...is it sabotaging when you aren't drawn to something even though you think you should do something? I dunno...the only reason i haven't really pushed in that out of state gallery rep thing is I still feel repelled to a certain degree by it all. I guess I'm wondering how to make myself like something that I dont like that might benefit me.
this is a good post...i guess it doesn't surprise me you are anti social...i am too. you can tell you are a strong person, perhaps by dint of being/doing on your own.
i will be very curious to see if you find a way to get the 'proper' amount of social energy going to guide your journey in the art world. i will be taking notes :)

ps i like your lost souls lonely hearts

Sheree Rensel said...

Hi Paula!
I don't have the answers to the reasons behind self sabotage. If I did, I would be a millionaire. We all do it, myself included. I don't know why we don't always do what is best for ourselves. I really don't.
I am not sure if I will ever master being social. I try for a while and then get discouraged or distracted. I am not sure this "old dog" will ever learn that new trick.
In regards to my "Lost Souls" I am glad you like them. Thank you for telling me! I think they are hysterical. I still have more to upload to my website. Each one has its own personality. Hey, maybe these are my fake friends?? LOL LOL LOL
Thanks for commenting and good luck finding your gallery! :-)

self taught artist said...

OMG i just checked the bottom of your blog, i never scrolled down
ILOVEYOURMISBEHAVOIRISTCUBE.
that is such a cool presentation!
between that body of work and your qizzlewolfs and lonely things....you officially have NO EXCUSE

self taught artist said...

hit the wrong key obviously
WIZZLEWOLF
WIZZLEWOLF
WIZZLEWOLF