Monday, June 9, 2008

Art Blog: Artist SPIRIT

Shockingly, I actually feel really confident right now. All of sudden I realized I have the start of a “PLAN”. It happened kind of unexpectedly. I did a little more research on the geographic area I planned to move and it didn’t appeal to me at all. Nope. I am not going there. Also, I know for sure I don’t want to sell this house. I felt a bit panicked about school starting in August. That deadline is feeding my anxiety. Soooooooooo, I decided to start purging some of the stuff around here to make room for my school equipment. At the end of July, I want to pick up my school stuff and store it here at home. If I can’t find a local job by August, I will go back to teaching until I do find another kind of job OR the time rolls around to be able to transfer to another school. Hey!! That sounds like a plan!!! Just being able to make any kind of decision is a relief!
I have started my summer reading. I have a stack of books waiting for me. I picked up the first one and just flipped it open. Here is the first thing I read:


Geesh….That is so weird that I read this passage first thing. Bizarre. I love it when stuff like this happens. The book is titled “The Mission of Art” by Alex Grey.

The author is a phenomenal artist. I have always loved and envied his work. Also, the philosophy behind his art is akin to my own in many ways. I can’t wait to start reading this book. However, I know it will be one of those books in which I will read a page and then have to think about the passages for a while.
With another quick flip through the book, I quickly read the Afterword. Grey’s six year old daughter wrote and illustrated an artist’s mission statement of sorts. I loved this coupling of youthful words of wisdom.


PERFECT!

No comments: