Saturday, June 21, 2008

Art Blog: Butterflies and Blue Birds

I am sitting here laughing out loud. After spending the last hour doing research online, I found myself giggling and seeing the humorous side of life. If you are a reader of this blog, you already know I tend to have a dark side. LOL LOL I don’t mean to sound dreary, it just comes out. The irony is I am just as silly and wacky as they come. Sometimes that side of me isn’t as apparent.
Anyway, I was doing research. I was trying for figure out what people buy. I mean handmade stuff. It seems like everybody and their brother has some kind of online art or craft shop. I wanted to see what people are actually buying. So I started snooping around.
This is what made me laugh. After viewing pages and pages of SOLD arts and crafts, my mind became overloaded with a continual stream of saccharine vocabulary words:
Butterflies, bluebirds, flowers, buttons, bows, baubles, hope, love, spirit, smile, tickle, bright, jolly, merry, peaceful, balloons, bubble gum, cookies, fairies, fluffy, bunny, snowflake, etc. etc.
You get the idea. Maybe I am stating the obvious, but people buy things that make them feel good. Then I thought, “Boy, am I in trouble!” LOL LOL I think of my bratty kids paintings and my gloomy tongue-in-cheek “Lost Souls” and realized I have to lighten up.
Oh my goodness Sheree, you make me laugh. Actually, the reason I started thinking about all this art marketing stuff was because years ago I sold simple, kitschy crafts like hats and jewelry. I stopped doing that because it seemed like too much work for too little money. However, I constantly have people ask me about making utilitarian kinds of artsy stuff. The last day of work, I walked in wearing a hat I made with some weird fringy stuff hanging over my eyes. Everyone kept saying “I want that hat!” This made me think. Maybe I should go back to making my hats or handmade papers or something. One thing is for sure. Whatever I do, it has to be HAPPY because I want to sell something!
LOL LOL


Think HAPPY Sheree

Ah yes: “The bluebirds and butterflies watched as the golden girl collected daisies as she danced and played in the shimmering sun.”
YEAH! That sounds good! Tee HEE HEE HEE

2 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

My list of fave blogs contains happy happy happy and the sometimes downright gloomy bordering on suicidal (it seems). I almost always feel bad after reading the happy happy happy. I don't know why that is.

There used to be a gallery in my town that sold lots of happy things. The owner was always suggesting that I use happy pretty colors. I made several pieces in pinks and purples and they sold like hotcakes. The gloomier pieces often sold too, but it was obvious what the people wanted.

I prefer working with black, browns and blues. It is what I must do. I've put some orange into my work because it makes me happy, but I'm not sure what others think of it.

If only I could become happy fuzzy and fluffy, I would probably be a hot artist. I just can't do it. There must be some really depressed people out there who will purchase my work.

There must be a market out there for us non-fuzzies!

Love the happy butterfly bird art! Funny.

Sheree Rensel said...

Kim!
Oh I like that! "Non-fuzzies"!
Oh yeah, I can see it now: advertising to the "depressive types". LOL LOL Someone actually asked me once why everything I make is so DEPRESSING? Say what?
I don't think my art is depressing. I just tend to paint about "issues". I think a lot of my art throws people because the candy colors look HAPPY, but there is this weird, creepy, edgy message if you really look at the pieces. I try to make people think. OUCH!! I gotta stop doing that!! LOL
Well to look at the bright side, I already have the "happy palette" down. As far as color is concerned, most of my work emulates the color choices used in circus design!
I just have to work on my content. Oh, that reminds me, I have to add PUPPIES, KITTIES, and RAINBOWS to my list.
LOL LOL LOL
Thanks for your comment!!
:-)