Thursday, June 19, 2008

Art Blog: Depression Cure

Depression can be so insidious. I know because I have lived with it ALL my life. I came out of the womb in a grey haze. It is in my genes. I went the therapy route. I even tried antidepressant medications once. Nothing really worked. So, I just live day to day and dig through my lifelong bag of tricks to keep myself buoyant. I don’t think artists are more prone to depression. I believe this state of mind seems magnified because artists feel everything more intensely.
For any of you who understand what I am talking about and want to know a depression cure (or at least the best temporary medicine), it is to find something you really love doing and do it. Keep doing it. Now I know this is a sticky wicket. When you are depressed you don’t feel like doing anything. I always relate to the Joni Mitchell lyric “nothins any good”. I get that. Yet, you have to find at least one thing that makes you feel happy and surround yourself with it even if you don’t feel like doing that at the moment. You have to remember you will get motivated by doing. If you force yourself to get up and immerse yourself in something that makes you feel good, the feelings of gloom and doom will lift away. I promise.
Case in point: I love going to concerts. I had a ticket to go to the True Colors concert last night. In the afternoon, I dreaded getting ready to go. I was so lethargic. I forced myself because I spent a lot of money on this ticket. Also, I remembered that motivation comes with doing. So I went. OMG! I had such a wonderful time. It was fantastic. Carson Kressley was the host. Rosie O’Donnell did some stand up. B-52’s rocked the house, as did The Clics. Then, there was Cyndi Lauper. I have never been a Cyndi fan. I like her, but I never bought any of her songs. Last night, she was amazing. I love her now. What I love about her is her energy. She reminds me of me in a lot of ways. She is goofy and hyper. She bounced around the stage like an energizer bunny. As I watched her I realized I felt so, so happy. Optimism has returned. Now, I have to savor this feeling.
Watch Cyndi!!! I dare you NOT to smile!


She is right! GIRLS do just want to have FUN! At least I do! Sorry the camera is so shaky. I am only 4'8" tall. I was holding my camera above my head to get the shots. :-)

2 comments:

queenlint1 said...

Sheree,
I agree with you. I've also battled a life long depression and still take medication for it because it's uncontrollable and dangerous without it.
I still get symptoms even on meds and find that if I force myself to do something that I love doing, I soon find myself humming and much happier.

Blessings,
Dina
PS And I love me some Cyndi Lauper! We had a Morgan mare we named after her at my ranch!

Sheree Rensel said...

Dina,
Depression is a drag for sure. If your meds help, that is great for you. That didn't work for me. There was no difference no matter how much they pumped into me. So, I decided it was a waste of time and money.
Cyndi won me over last night. She cracks me up!
S.