Sunday, June 22, 2008

Art Blog: Rattling the Bars

I think I have mentioned this before. Whenever I get into a state of impatience or frustration, I call it “rattling the bars”. This is how I describe what I am feeling when things aren’t going the way I want them to go or I just feel like I am going against the grain of life. It describes the vision of being in prison, grasping the jail cell bars, and giving it the best shake you can muster. Sometimes, it takes me a while to get to the point I feel the RATTLE. This morning I felt the vibrations very well.
I am still laughing about my quest to learn about what kind of art is selling right now. In fact, I got up early this morning and started doing more research. Do you know there are actually artists who have registered variations of the name “Happy Artist”? That is just an interesting side note. LOL LOL
Well this rattling the bars stuff sucks. I know better. I really do believe everything happens for a reason. I just don’t like not knowing the reasons while I am waiting for things to change. The irony about all this is I am a hippie dippy who believes in Universal principles and destiny. This philosophy has worked fine for me to this point, so I don’t know why I am having spiritual tantrums lately. I guess I am a faithful, spoiled brat.
When I whip myself into one of these frenzies, it is difficult for me to make art. I get confused. I am not sure of the direction to go. I find myself walking into artistic walls. I started work on my new Treasure Maps series yesterday and gave up in a huff. I thought “Why in the hell are you starting a new series when you have all this half done stuff lying around?” It is like I have artistic ADD. So, my goal this week is to put my blinders on and move forward. I have one deadline. This is for a specific piece, so I will have no choices in the matter. This is good. After that, I am going to start to finish the pieces that are half done.
Oh BTW, I have FOUR dental appointments this week. They are doing major reconstruction on my aging teeth. $$$$$$$$$$ So the blog posts should be very interesting. OUCH! LOL LOL LOL


Click to Enlarge
See even my birds look pissed off!! LOL
Stop rattling the bars and let things flow.
Remember to breath, work, and have faith
This is what will make you a truly happy artist!

6 comments:

self taught artist said...

WHOA
this piece is bizarro and interesting
the fury and energy
it is so indian/warrior like,
feels like one of those round shield things you see indians dancing with in a pow wow.
such messages of STAY AWAY
and yet the bird is angry and trying to get out but the colors are friendly. mangled criss cross of energy for sure.
at least thats my reaction to it :)

i can't quit looking at it....

Sheree Rensel said...

Thanks Paula! I am glad the post touched you!
:-)
Sheree

Sheree Rensel said...

Paula,
HEY!! You made me think of something. One of the movies I made about the creation of this piece is set to tribal music. I guess you felt that same flavor. Weird!!
Here is the link to the video that shows me making this painting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgaanHqpvI

steve said...

This is great!
I agree with the indian shield idea, but, that would fit your struggle to produce art.
Wish I had thought of it.
Steve

Sheree Rensel said...

Steve,
I am not sure where this "indian shield" idea is coming from. That was not my inspiration or even in the back of my mind when I made this piece. However, if that is someone's interpretation, that is fine with me. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!!!
:-)

self taught artist said...

thx for the link to the video
that was great music and high energy
good stuff!
ps
if i had to pull a weed today i would need paramedics....