Saturday, July 5, 2008

Art Blog: Art Statements (Pt 2)

After writing the last post, I remembered a video I watched in which the artist’s words made so much sense. This video was made by artist, Gilda Snowden. This impromptu gallery visit shows the work of Julia Stephenson.
When I watched this video, I didn’t understand the work at all. In fact, as Gilda pans the gallery at the beginning, I looked and wondered what was going on. I didn’t relate and felt disassociated from the art work.
Then, Gilda gets the artist and begins talking with her about the art. The artist is young and at first she struggles. However once she started explaining the work in plain language, I had an “A-HA” moment. As I listened to her simple artist statement, I became enlightened, empathetic, and interested. That is exactly what you want to happen when talking about your art! Bravo Julia!!

1 comment:

Julia Stephenson said...

Thank you so much. It's been a weird 6 months for me.