Monday, July 14, 2008

Art Blog: “I GET TO”

Since the beginning of summer, I have been in deep thought mode. I am putting faith in the Universe and trusting it will provide the future I am supposed to have. Even though I am trying to back off and just go with the flow, I am still restless. The job scene isn’t glowing right now and it looks like I will still be at my present job for a while. At least, it looks that way at this moment. That is OK though. “I GET TO” go to a job. There are so many people who can’t say that right now.
I watched a video today about a woman who lost a daughter to cancer. (I will speak more about the video on my fitness blog.) I watched as she briefly touched about her recent experiences. The thesis of her message was the phrase “I GET TO”. This is the opposite of “I HAVE TO”. As those words sunk into my head, I realized this is the exact thing I have been thinking about lately.
I put up a recent post on Art Calendar forum that mentioned how lucky we are to be artists. I mean, aren’t we LUCKY? We GET TO do what we love. We GET TO communicate and create. We GET TO feel joy from our work. The list could go on and on.
I continued to think a lot about this on my mini-vacation. As I splashed in the hotel pool and felt the sun on my face, I couldn’t believe I GOT TO do this. I thought similar thoughts last night. Knowing I had another dental appointment this morning, I watched in horror a TV news report about hundreds and hundreds of AMERICAN people who came from miles around to get one free appointment with dentists and doctors. As I sat in the dentist chair this morning, I thought “I GET TO” have my teeth fixed.
We all complain, moan, and groan about life sometimes. Gosh, I am as guilty as anyone. However, if I take a minute to remember “I GET TO”, I think my mindset will change immediately. Yep, it will!



How did I get so lucky??????

4 comments:

gilda said...

Sheree, if you are not careful you will become a philosopher....

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh gosh Gilda!!! I hope not!! Philosophers make less money than artists!! LOL LOL LOL LOL
BTW, I am LOVING your videos. The recent ones showing geographic locations are hitting me hard. It is as I never left. It feels like I can jump in my car and drive down Grand River!
So are you thinking about getting a new studio in the Russell?

Jess Mendez said...

Dear Sheree,

This is a topic which is mostly misunderstood by the masses. I suppose at Mass we could contemplate on it's originality; however, we could still slip-up and miss grabbing the fast moving descending object coming towards our face.

Indeed I do: Feel life on life's terms today. I do not get to suppress my feelings, and emotions with any chemical, or subtitution say less than perhaps... my journals, blogging, and running, projecting, or what not. I get to remember the choice and this choice is to stay grateful to get to...

Jess Mendez

Sheree Rensel said...

Jess,
I knew you would understand this post!
:-)
Sheree