Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Art Blog: Let it Go!


What a frigin mess!!

Look at this. I created this painting a few years ago. I have been thinking about this that LONG. Get over it Sheree!
Blonderexic. Yep. That describes me. I have always had LONG, bleach blond hair, except for 1988 when I cut it all off and dyed it red. That didn’t last long. I went right back to my old ways. My real hair is still dishwater blond. Nondescript. Dark blond mixed with light blond, mixed with grey now. It isn’t worth a look. This is why I continue to BLEACH.
Then, there is the length. I have always hid behind my hair. It is a veil of protection from the big, bad world. It all started as a form of rebellion. My mother always condemned me and voiced opinions about my coif. It was far too long for a person so short. My face was always covered. It just wasn’t right. Well you can tell I listened her, NOT. I have kept it the same way for 40+ years. LOL LOL

It is time. I have to do something. I measured my hair the other day. It was at 30” from my crown to my waistband. I almost had it cut the other day. I stood silent in front of the salon window. “I am going in!” “Yes, I am going in, now!” I didn’t’. SO………………I have been doing some kind of intervention on myself. Every time I wash my hair, I cut off an inch. I have cut off 8” so far. I want to get it up to my shoulders. Even though I want short hair, I just can’t do it all at once.
This all seems too freaky to me. I have to get over it. I am done. All this hair makes me crazy now. I am tired of picking up long hairs all over the house and in my car. I am tired of hiding behind this mop. I have to do something. I am just a bit afraid. Even after all these years, I am too afraid to show my face to the world. This is especially true because now I am all wrinkly too! I still want to hide. There is no sense in hiding. I look old because I am getting old. Gee, go figure. I realized if I want a new life, I have to be willing to change and try new things. So before I could even put this post up, I just went to the salon and told them “Have at it!”
Hair today, Gone today!!!

Thanks, I needed that!

16 comments:

self taught artist said...

wow! talk about a make-over...your hair looks so healthy now and it makes you look younger and ALIVE!
congrats, thats a BIG deal.
you look wonderful!

Sheree Rensel said...

Paula,
You got that right! It feels SO GOOD!! One stylist refused to touch me. He got all snarky. So this young girl was recruited. She did a great job. This is not exactly what I asked for, but she did her best considering my hair was so damaged and fragile. She said the same thing as you after she cut it. She said "Gosh, it feels so healthy now." Also, I got some REVENGE out of the deal too. The boy-bitch stylist who swished away from me when I asked for a haircut just happened to be standing there when I gave the little newbie stylist a 100% tip. Whoooo-HA!!!! Life is sweet!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL I have been playing with it all afternoon. I don't regret it at all. I love it. I wish I had done this years ago. My next appointment is going to tone down the brassy blond. Welcome to the 21st Century Sheree!! LOL LOL
:-)

Tracy said...

I love it Sheree! Cute and perky, in a good way of course!

Congrats!

PS. I use semi-permanent color (Redken Shades), it's not so rough on the hair, you may want to look into those if you haven't already.

Sheree Rensel said...

Tracy, Forgive my ignorance. You are talking to a person who has used Nice and Easy 100 since 1969!! Is Redkin something the stylist uses or do you put that on yourself? I am trying to figure all this out. I think I am going to let the pros do my color from now on. My expertise with coloring hair is akin to a short order fry cook. LOL LOL
:-)

GILDA said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!!!!

After all of these years!!!!

And you look FABULOUS!!!

Sheree Rensel said...

Ha ha ha!! Yep. I did it. I am SO GLAD I did! I have only had my hair cut for about 5 hours and I keep asking myself "Why didn't I do this a long time ago?" Gilda, I feel free. I really do. It is just one less thing to worry about. Also, the way she cut it is so funny. Even when I sweat, it starts to take on this wacky shape that I love. Very artistic!
However, you were there 20 years ago when I cut it off and dyed it red. Do you know I got more....aaaaahhh, how can a say this nicely...ahhhh MORE ACTION when I was a red head with a short bob? YEP, it is true. Blonds don't always have more fun. However, I am staying blond. I don't want any ACTION. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Love you!!
Sheree

Tracy said...

Yes, Redken is a brand that stylists use. I personally think it's worth it the extra money-the color is amazing and even if it's the most unnatural hair color ever, it still has a natural look if that makes any sense. Goldwell is another brand that is good too. They both have less chemicals which I appreciate too.

Sheree Rensel said...

Tracy, This is all good to know. I am going to go back in there in 3 weeks to do some kind of color. I will ask what kind they use. I am not going to go dramatic. I just want to tone down the brass and get some low lights so I won't look like a glowing yellow headlight in the fog.
Thanks so much for the education!!
:-)

Gilda said...

Have you heard from Cristen yet? What does she say?

Sheree Rensel said...

Yeah right. I sent her pics first. No word. She is a BUSY woman you know. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Whatever!

Anonymous said...

You look great! My hair is short now too... change is good!

Also... in your "Big Hair" painting, you are using the face of a sculpture from Babylon... check out this collage of mine...
Love Prayer....

It has the same face. I recognized it immediately.

The great thing about hair is that it grows back.

Eva

Sheree Rensel said...

OMG!! Eva, That sure is the same sculpture. I LOVE your piece!!!! Great minds think alike!!!!
:-)

self taught artist said...

why did that stylist refuse to do your hair? never heard of such a thing...that would have destroyed me. i love you gave a 100% tip. way to get revenge and give back to the universe :)

Martha Marshall said...

Sheree you look fabulous!!! Congratulations on having that kind of courage. It looks so good on you, and I agree it looks healthier. I love that tip you gave the stylist! Good for you!!

Laurel in Austin said...

You look FABULOUS, dahling!

p.s. be careful at that concert - you could get (un)lucky!

queenlint1 said...

Sheree!

I love it! You look very gamin and magic with your new do! And it looks so soft and healthy!

I love my long hair and have regretted it every time I've cut it. But I have a head shaped like an Apache child who's been kept on a cradle board until she was ten!

Blessings,
Dina