Thursday, July 3, 2008

Art Blog: LOVE

I had planned on going on my art “field trip” today. One thing lead to another and I realized the museum would close by the time I got there. So, I decided to go to a movie instead. I rarely go to movies. However being the “Sex and The City” groupie I am, I just had to go see it. Ample time had passed for all the commotion to die down. I hate crowded theaters. I went alone and sat in the front row as is my habit.
I loved the movie. I really did. There will be no spoilers here.

I came out of the theater with the start of a headache. As I drove home, I started to rewind the movie in my head. Was my headache due to the subject matter of the movie = LOVE? I have a lot of issues with this topic. I do.
If you have been living under a rock for a decade, “Sex” is based on four women friends living in Manhattan. Each one has traits that make up a composite of a woman. I am exactly like none of them, but similar in ways to all of them.
As much as I hate to admit it, I am most like Samantha. NO! Not the sex part. I have her “me first” attitude. I have never been as optimistic as Charlotte or lived her fairy tale life. Yet, when I was younger, I had that “we will all live happily ever after” fantasy.
I am detailed and analytical just like Miranda. I just have more personality. Then, there is Carrie. I have been just like her in my past. I sure don’t agree with her decisions, but I have made every one of her mistakes at some point in my life. Also, there was a time I actually thought about a “knight in shining armor”. I have even had my “Mr. Big”, just not that rich or powerful.
I did the math and realized I have been single more than 95% of my life. This has been intentional. I tried the relationship thing and it didn’t work for me. To be honest and putting psychological challenges aside, my art was always far more important than putting time into a relationship. I made choices and have no regrets.
So just like Carrie says as she looks in a store window at a pair of Manolo Blahniks, I sit in my living room looking at years and years worth of art and say “Hello Lover!”


If I am reincarnated, I wouldn’t mind staying just the same as I am now but with one difference. I want to look like Carrie Bradshaw!!!! LOL LOL Yeah!

No comments: