Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Art Blog: Real Woman

“Don’t just be an aging female … become a real woman!”
Maya Angelou, poet, educator, historian, best-selling author

Even though I am very hard on myself and suffer from all kinds of weird, psycho cooties, I have realized one really great thing about myself. I am a REAL woman. I am not just sitting around getting years older. I am growing, doing things, making changes, moving on, being productive, tweaking the good/bad, and learning more about myself every day. This is a good thing!
It has taken a long time for me to be able to realize this. That is what life is all about. I still have many lessons to learn. I have my “I am OK” checklist. This is the list of things that took me decades to figure out:
• It is OK for me to chose to be alone.
• It is OK to choose art over other things.
• It is OK for me to make the kind of art I make.
• It is OK to express my opinions without regrets.
• It is OK for me to say NO.
• It is OK for me to look the way I do.
• It is OK for me to be HAPPY!

Oh! My list could go on and on! As you grow as a woman and come to these kinds of realizations, it is such a relief! It makes you feel lighter and more buoyant. Also, you realize your power as a woman.
I am going to be offline for a couple of days because I am going to go to see Dave Matthews Band and Gomez. I don’t like driving at night, so I am staying over and making it a mini vacation. I am not taking my laptop (on purpose.) I need a techno break for sure. I am taking books (remember those??) So, I bid you good-bye for a few days. Here is one more of my “Oks” .
• It is OK for me to go to rock concerts and seem to be the oldest person in the crowd!!! LOL LOL LOL


Dave Matthews Band
(I can’t wait to hear Boyd play his violin!)

Gomez – US Tour

3 comments:

self taught artist said...

enjoy the break from technology
enjoy the concert
enjoy the books
ENJOY YOUR NEW LOOK
have a blast sheree!
you are building up some power
maybe you will blast off and that teaching thing will disappear
:)

Cath Sheard said...

Your hair cut in the last post looks totally awesome - you rock :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Thanks Paula and Cath. Yeah, I am gaining speed and power. I feel great. However, I am STILL at teacher! LOL LOL
All in good time. All in good time.
:-)