Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Art Blog: Teacher Teacher!

This is almost spooky. I got up at 4:00 AM. I fed the dog and while waiting for him to do his business, I sat outside and pondered my accomplishments for the past 24 hours. Besides nursing a terrible headache and various stress related aches, I applied for an arts administration job and nearly finished the application packet for a college teaching position. As I made a mental list of new strategies to win my fight for a new life, it occurred to me. This is what I WANT. This is what will make me HAPPY. I love teaching, but not in the environment of my current job. I am not going to apply for any K-12 school system jobs. I need to move on and explore new horizons. So, I am only going to apply for positions I actually find interesting, exciting, and promote my own well being. Then I wandered into the computer room and I looked down my email list. I saw one of my “Notes from the Universe” emails. Here is what it said:
For those who ponder and wonder and wrestle with the idea of what it is they really want, I have an answer that each would wholeheartedly agree with: "HAPPINESS."
And for those who ponder and wonder and wrestle with exactly what will bring them true happiness, I have an answer that each would wholeheartedly disagree with: "Just do something, do anything, as soon as possible."


Ha! That is a example of synchronicity! I just looked at that statement and said “You got that right, Universe!” So I forge on. I am aiming at specific targets. I am planning intentionally. One thing I was reminded of yesterday is that I am a really, really great teacher. As I scanned slides of student work from my adjunct faculty days, I was amazed. I kept thinking, “Sheree, this is the work of college freshman and sophomores! How did you get them to come so far, so fast?” I was able to do this because I am a good teacher whether I like it or not. LOL LOL
So, let’s go with the flow.


Here are some examples of my student’s college foundation coursework. Good Job!

Project: Scale/Proportion

Project: Trompe l'oeil

Project: Self Portrait
At college level, I have taught art foundation courses: Drawing 1-2, Color Theory/Design 1-2, and Life Drawing. These are not overly exciting courses. They are the basics needed to move on to the “meat” of any art program. Yet, I am still proud of my students. When they leave me, they have what it takes to be any kind of artist they want to be. They are prepared!

No comments: