Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Art Blog: The ANOINTED= The FINALE

This has been such a wonderful discussion. I am so glad I got so many interesting comments. For this finale, I wanted to say my last words on this issue by bringing the dialog to the forefront. Therefore, I have included the comments submitted as a jumping point. I have included comment excerpts and responded to them. Thank you all for reading and putting in your 2 cents. This was a great dialog. I really appreciate it! :-)

Brazen said:
Some people don't buy into the notion, that humans are purely creative forms of energy. But if one does buy into that philosophy- than the ones that gain recognition/fame/ and money- are the ones that created it for themselves.

I think you are absolutely correct. I especially like the phrase “created it for themselves”. This has been my major problem. I don’t want to point fingers because my life choices and temperament have made it difficult for me to CREATE the art fame/fortune outcome. Also, I agree. The energy we emit transforms into the product of our endeavors.


Dryadart(Deb) said:
I think some people are drawn to fame, and some of us are not...

This could be the topic of another series. What is fame anyway? The 21st century definition would hold something in reference to money, paparazzi, constant ridicule or adulation, and invasion of privacy. That is what it has come to mean for celebrities, anyway. I don’t think art celebrity is quite the same. However, I sure don’t want to be bashed and scrutinized the way someone like Damien Hirst has been. Do you?


Self Taught Artist said:
sometimes the hype seems more important than the person or the art in our society. whoever looks the strangest, acts the strangest or makes the strangest art is certainly going to get more attention

I have a very hard time dealing with the rationale of some art of note. I can’t help feeling like much of the notorious art is like a tongue-in-cheek joke. It is like a game of who can portray the weirdest subject matter, use the most asinine materials, or disgust the most people. Then wait for someone important to raise their hands and yell “WOW”! Some artists try to do the most bizarre things in hopes of being seen as cutting edge. However, when I see it I want to say “CUT the crap!”

Dryadart(Deb) said:
I think collectors create this value, and artists are "lucky" if they get chosen, but I don't think that necessarily validates their art...also many of said collectors buy art as an investment not for aesthetic reasons, so I pretty much rest that case!

Oh my gosh! Collectors play a huge role! This is why I titled this series the “Anointed”. They are the chosen ones. Validation can come in many forms. I think just getting an M.F.A. is a touch of grace. Then, understanding art as a commodity and running with that concept promotes your art fame cause. If you don’t do that, you get lost in the dust.

Brazen said:
I find these inquiries fascinating, so thank you for writing them.
There is an undercurrent of resentment in both posts, regarding the underdog that "never gets noticed in spite of equivalent or greater skill/ sincerity."
Perhaps there are more questions than answers here. But you must be given a Brazen Gold Star for making me think. Bravo

It is my pleasure to write these things. There is not an “undercurrent” of resentment here. Oh gosh, no. I am surfing high on a wave of resentment. However, I do not resent the system. I don’t resent the art world. I just resent the way I feel right now. As for making you think, that is very cool. I know you like to think (too much) some times. I am like that too! P.S. Where is my “Gold Star”? LOL

Eva said:
Whoa, you are hitting some nerves here.

Thank you so much for this HUGE compliment. I am glad I am hitting nerves. It makes me feel like all this writing has a purpose after all!

Jafabrit said:
I would rather work as a teacher if I had to support my art and maintain my freedom to create what I want.

This reminded me of a poll I did last year. I was trying to research the lifestyles of “self supporting artists”. I got some feedback from a number of full time, self supporting artists. There was not one who actually lived off their salary from sales alone. Most artists either did workshops (teaching) or some kind of side job, had an inheritance, or had a spouse. Those that did live off their art made a salary that was on or near the poverty line. In other words, many who say they support themselves stretch the truth OR they live a very meager lifestyle.

Dryadart(Deb) said:
think we will probs not solve this issue here... but rant away!!

I didn’t think this was a rant at all. I was just making observations. I was just talking about what was on my mind. I didn’t complain or point fingers. Like I said in Part 5, I see any negatives as my own problem. I wasn’t bitching about anybody or anything else.

Gayle said:
The typical definition of artistic success, defined as achieving fame and making money off your art, doesn't account for those artists who achieve neither.
It's a never ending journey, not a destination.

A-Ha! “Typical definition” using whose dictionary? I believe this definition of success being represented via fame and money is not typical (or realistic) or if it is, this is a new phenomenon. Even as late as 1960, the idea of artists becoming rich and famous wasn’t the motivator at all. In fact if it wasn’t for Peggy Guggenheim, even Jackson Pollock could have applied for food stamps.
You are right it IS a destination! I certainly agree with you 100%!!

Jafabrit said:
The ingredients for art success.
luck, being in the right place at the right time, your style of work becomes popular, you kiss ass, you sell your soul to the devil, you create shocking shit and get noticed, you spend 90% of you time wearing a sales hat, you have the gift of the gab and could sell the Brooklyn bridge if needed, you create what the public wants.

Ditto!

Jafabrit said:
What I will say about consistency is that while it seems I jump from one genre to another there is actually consistency in the sense that all of my work represents facets of how I feel and about life and have ONE voice, mine.
Is that not the same for you?

Yes, it is exactly the same for me. It is ALL MY STUFF!! Tee hee

Hans (anonymous with no link) said:
I just love reading your column you are a very good artist in my book and I know nothing about art!! Just wanted you to know you’re a pretty cool person!!
Hans in Bradenton

I have a fan!! I have a fan!! LOL LOL This is such a great comment for which to end this post. Thank you HANS!!!


“True” by Sheree Rensel
If I can say one thing about myself, my art, and my writing, it is TRUE to me.

7 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I have enjoyed exploring your blog posts and questions. Great blog.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jafa,
I have to thank YOU. You insights were very exciting. It helped that I realized we are of like minds! LOL
You were right to point out our similarities.
Thank you so much for reading and participating in this little conversation. I thought it was great fun!
:-)
Sheree

self taught artist said...

I agree, this has been a fun and informative chunk of posts, love the thoughts and discussions that came from it. Love reading blogs that make me think about things and explore further than I would normally.

Sheree Rensel said...

Paula (Self Taught), Thank YOU so much for your participation. I really appreciate it. I love the interactions!
P.S. I am so impressed with your work lately. Every time I go to your website, I am blown away!! Great job!!!!
:-)
Sheree

self taught artist said...

WOWOWOWOW now that means something to get a compliment on my work from you. that made my whole day, THANK YOU!

you are a kick ass blogger ;)

This Brazen Teacher said...

This WAS a great idea! I've taken some cues from the excellent way you engaged conversation.

Sheree Rensel said...

Brazen,
I think you do this already. You ask questions of your audience (or class, in your case)
I really thought this was a nice experience. I like the interaction. I like the give and take. It helps me to continue my thinking processes.

I am so glad you are a part of this. I respect your mind!!
:-)
Sheree