Thursday, October 2, 2008

Art Blog: The ANOINTED Part 2

Art stardom continued. I am going to keep writing about this until I need to stop. I am holding off responding to comments until I finish writing and hear from you all. What do you think about art fame, fortune, and success?
So, let’s think hypothetically.

Scenario 1: Using this artist as a simple example, let’s imagine the various and potential outcomes of the Basquiat/Warhol relationship. Even though it was a scene in a movie, I believe some similar scenario actually happened in real life. Basquait, a street artist runs into Warhol and presents some small drawings to the master. Warhol sums up the work and the person. He invites Basquiat into his world. What if? What if? What if Warhol had thrown the work on the floor and told Jean-Michel to take a frigin hike? His art would be the same. He was still Basquiat. However, that endorsement would have been nonexistent. If that would have happened would we be able to look up Basquiat’s bio and read of his artistic acclaim on Google? Would Basquiat’s portfolio look the same had he been rejected by the NY art elite? Would he be more or less creative?

Scenario 2: There is an artistic master working in Kansas or Missouri or Wyoming. S/he works alone. S/he is not social. The priority is creating art. S/he works for years, but does not hone her connections. Her/his email list is nonexistent. The work is held hostage in the studio. It is outstanding. Yet, s/he ages and dies. The work is given to relatives and some of it is given to others who put it in their attic. S/he was not a successful artist or was h/she?

Scenario 3: It is all about the fame and fortune. Internationally renowned artist, Damien Hirst had the passion, drive, and balls to create dead animal art that was unusual, groundbreaking, and the talk of collector Charles Saatchi and the international art world. From the get go, he has worked the system to overtake Jasper Johns with a record breaking sale at Sotheby’s. For him, it is all about the buck, fame, and fortune. He is such an iconic artist, isn’t he?????? Wouldn’t you love to be him?
So what do YOU think?



I even wonder if Basquiat would be alive today had he never met Warhol.
I just wonder.

6 comments:

dryadart said...

I think Damien is an excellent example of just what I was talking about earlier, the fame seeker, the whole YBA group with maybe the exception of whitbread make pretty questionable art (i think) but because saatchi owns them they sell well, after all a big collector like that has a vested interest in making sure that is the case, along with all the other collectors who followed saatchi's lead... I think collectors create this value, and artists are "lucky" if they get chosen, but I don't think that necessarily validates their art...also many of said collectors buy art as an investment not for aesthetic reasons, so I pretty much rest that case!

I think the same goes for Basquiat, who at least made some things I think I regard as art, but endorsements by critics and/or already famous artists help, lets just think about everyone greenburg made famous....all those clever white boys like pollock!

and who knows about example two? I say its probably art making, but I guess you have to define art so its not about commodity and instead about production, ok got to go run my kid a bath, just wanted to chime in!!

This Brazen Teacher said...

I find these inquiries fascinating, so thank you for writing them.

There is an undercurrent of resentment in both posts, regarding the underdog that "never gets noticed in spite of equivalent or greater skill/ sincerity."

What if the woman in Kansas SAID she wanted external success, all the while acting in accordance with being a hermit? Then in fact she is REALLY saying she wants to be a hermit. Can she fault life for giving her that? And if ones does something purely for the love of it to begin with- than why does one become so bitter when others don't see it. Isn't the love of making enough? Or possibly, the love of making is NOT enough- and we just kid ourselves?

One of my favorite quotes:

When we have arms for holding, and lips for kissing, I don't really give a damn if someone has made a machine to measure the weather.- ee cummings.

I always take this as: Love is the most important thing in life. Trying to analyze too much sometimes gets us chasing the wrong things and makes us nuts. That's my ultimate take on your inquiries, although I'm hardly discounting them by saying this.

Perhaps there are more questions than answers here. But you must be given a Brazen Gold Star for making me think. Bravo :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Brazen,
As I said when I began this series, I was going to wait to respond to comments. However, I just couldn't resist saying one thing now.

You wrote:
"There is an undercurrent of resentment in both posts....."

Resentment? HA! LOL LOL You should know about this issue, huh? When I read ANY of your blog posts I can hear your teeth grinding.

Sheree

This Brazen Teacher said...

lol. So true :-) I think we have that in common. Although as of late I've been feeling all Buddhist like (as in like the past week- which is about all I can seem to suspend the brazen side for.) hehe....

That being said, I hope you didn't interpret my comment as patronizing.

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh no! Patronizing no! Not at all. In fact there is some truth to what you have perceived. You are right in a way, but not in the correct way. You are a step ahead of me. I am getting to the "resentment" part.. You might be surprised at what I say about it. Patience. I will get there.
:-)
Sheree

Eva said...

Whoa, you are hitting some nerves here.

Once an artist came into one of my galleries while I was sitting there and said wistfully (but you could tell there was an undercurrent of so many emotions kept in check): "I don't know, so much of it seems to be about getting annoited. Some are annoited and some are not and that's about it."