Monday, October 6, 2008

Art Blog: The ANOINTED Part 4

So what is a SUCCESSFUL artist? Ha! This is such a loaded question. It is nearly as potent as asking “What is ART?” Oh my goodness, if you ask that question, a brawl might occur!
I had a thought. I was wondering if there is such a thing as “Plumber stardom” or “Mailman stardom”. Feeling the tongue in my cheek, I admit this is just a way of making a point. I think the field of art is associated with entertainment. Thus, we have this art star, celebrity thing for which to expect. However the art world is really a microcosm of society. Art is a profession. There are many, many professions. This is why I ask are there stars in the area of electricians or garbage haulers? Do they have magazines that tout the newest, emerging stars in their field?

Of course, I am being facetious. However, I am serious in a way. What is a successful artist? What does that look like? I was recently dissed (unintentionally so, I think) by another artist who hawks her wares on YouTube. Besides doing YouTube “classes”, she also designs template kits to sell so anybody can reproduce her paintings. I smile and love her entrepreneurial spirit. Yet in the midst of a email tit-for-tat, she said something like “Yes Sheree, I don’t want to be like you and have to teach, I want to be a successful artist who can live off the proceeds of my work!”.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm……… I find that she sees things this way so interesting. She does YouTube classes and sells paint-by-number templates, yet she believes I am not successful because I teach? Even art stars do workshops or spend their time as a marketing managers! They have to hone their smooze skills, make telephone calls, and take meetings. They aren't in their studio all day just raking in the greenbacks! I teach INTENTIONALLY so I don’t have to make “how to” templates and I can make the kind of art I want to make sans client input! I looked at the email, thought of all I have done and accomplished with my art, thought about where she is at in her “art life” and just bellowed “Well La Dee DA!!!”
Double hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………

I know what my interpretation of a successful artist is. I will get to that in my next post. Until then, what are your thoughts? Tell me, pleeze!



This isn’t the exact ad, but did any of you do the “copy this dog” picture back in the day? I remember that ad for an art school. I think I tried copying that dog when I was about nine or ten years old. Back then, I thought I did a darn good job too!! LOL LOL LOL

4 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

By your friends definition I am definitely NOT a successful artist. To me success is not selling your soul to the devil for a buck. I would rather work as a teacher if I had to support my art and maintain my freedom to create what I want. As it is I am free to paint what I want and how I want, and to me that is success.

This Brazen Teacher said...

I think the word is success is too subjective to be definitive.

Success financially?
Business wise?
Personally?
Philosophically?
Recognition?

But I can think of one definitive. If you don't think you're successful, and neither does anyone else- then you're definitely NOT. hehe... otherwise, who can really say?

deb said...

think we will probs not solve this issue here... but rant away!! this is dryadart, i just made a profile so I don't have to keep logging in when I post here!!

Gayle said...

The typical definition of artistic success, defined as achieving fame and making money off your art, doesn't account for those artists who achieve neither. Success has to mean something else or we wouldn't keep pursuing our art. For me, success would be the ability to organize my jumbled thoughts and feelings in a design and colors that satisfies me artistically and expresses what I can't put into words. It's a never ending journey, not a destination.