Thursday, October 23, 2008

Art Blog: Becoming ME

Some of you know I am a true fan of the movie “Harold and Maude”. One of the attractions is because I have always seen myself as MAUDE for multiple reasons. If you haven’t seen the movie, rent it. It is bizarre. Ruth Gordon, the actress that played Maude is my true, alter ego. I loved her and the character. She was a spitfire. I love that about her. I love that about me.

This weekend I went out on a mini bike hike. I drove my car with my bike in tow downtown. I went to the Bike Bash at the park. As I wandered with my bike through the booths, I watched as people snickered at me and my bike. My “Violet” as I call her is a Schwinn Stingray adorned (by me) with a purple leopard seats, handmade light/lock covers, and tinsel tassels hanging from the high handlebars. I kept getting compliments and thumbs up about my bike. That was very awesome considering these people were bicycle aficionados. However, there were other people in the crowd that would look at the bike and then at me and make these kind of raised eyebrows look. Yeah, Shut up!! Some think I am too OLD to be the way I am. That is their problem. Not mine.

After the bike festival, I rode over to the Pier and settled down with a drink and a book while listening to the blues. The book was “Affirmations for Artists” by Eric Maisel. The first page that appeared as the book flipped open was a section on Artist’s Temperament:

When I read this passage, I just laughed. This paragraph is about ME. I have worked so hard to become ME in all my weird, eccentric glory. Shortly after reading this passage, I wandered over to a kiosk because I wanted a soda. The young girl who works there has seen me around for years. She has seen me dressed in my hot pink leggings, flower pot hats, and all my bizarre outfits. When I drove my bike right into her shop, she started laughing. She said “I would never expect you to have any other kind of bike!” That was such a compliment to me!

All this ties into a lot I have spoken about lately. It is OK to be me. If other people don’t like that or don’t feel a kinship, well, I can’t do anything about that! For example, the suggested affirmation which accompanied the passage written above is as follows:

Yep. I can be bizarre. I can be outspoken. I can be slightly off center. I am not the norm or of the usual ilk. However, I see this as a GOOD thing and I am harmless. I am just being me and I am proud I have been busy honing and fine tuning this persona.

This next week is going to be difficult. I am already exhausted. This World Series has got me going. The RAYS lost last night. I am so sad. However, my crazy lady self is looking at this whole Tampa Bay Rays World Series opportunity as being similar to the honor of being nominated for an Academy Award. They may not get to be the world champs, but they are in the WORLD SERIES! We must think positive. Who knows? Stranger things have happened. I still think it is awesome they made it this far! So tonight, the World Series is being played out 5 miles from my house. I am trying to wave positive energy to the east of my house. Go Rays!!
(Sorry Detroit Tigers. You know you have my true heart of hearts, but I am in St. Pete territory now. I gotta do what I gotta do!!!)
LOL LOL LOL


After all, this is all part of becoming ME.

2 comments:

This Brazen Teacher said...

How pertinent to my life at this very moment. A successful eccentric... :-) Hm....

Sheree Rensel said...

Hey Braz,
I think if you are eccentric in any way, you are already successful!!!

Go, Go WEIRDOS!!!

:-)