Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Art Blog: Crazy ADDICTION

Oh this is bad. This is really bad. I came home from work, took Gizmo outside, and headed for the computer (as usual). Ironically, I had a post prepared called “Artist ROUTINE”. Well, my routine got side tracked big time today because after turning on the computer and clicking Foxfire, I was greeted with a very unwelcome dialog box. It said, among other things: “SERVER NOT FOUND”. In a panic, I diddled with a few settings, looked at my DSL modem, and rebooted multiple times. Nothing worked.

I started to sweat. I felt like I had the dry heaves. I struggled to grab the telephone while looking for the Verizon tech services number. I was in a state of shock, mixed with anger, and showing signs of addiction withdrawal. It wasn’t pretty.
After speaking with “Miss Automaton” numerous times, I was told there was an outage in my area. My instructions were to turn my DSL modem off and on again and reboot my computer when the outage was over. She neglected to say: WHEN THE HELL WILL THAT HAPPEN? So, I called again and spoke with “Chris”. He was a great liar. He told me not to worry. Since I had called previously to report the outage, Verizon would call me to let me know when the outage was fixed. That was total B.S.!
I laid on the couch for over an hour. I clipped my dog’s toenails. I washed the dishes. I tried the computer nearly ten times. Still nothing.

So I called Verizon again. This time the automaton told me there was nothing wrong with my line and hung up on me. I called back. (I am tenacious, remember?) This time I talked with a real person named “Richard”. He was wonderful and quite entertaining. If any of you watch the show “Top Design”, you will understand this comparison. He reminded me of the contestant “Wisit”. He had a high pitched, sweet giggle. He tee hee heed quite often as my addiction pangs ached and were expressed through sarcasm and dry wit. I have to give Richard credit. He kept his sense of humor even though I was obviously in the throes of a nasty withdrawal. He patiently walked me through getting my DSL hooked up again. Hallelujah!!
So I am back online now. I feel a bit better. My sweats have disappeared. The shaking has subsided. However, I am now behind on my ROUTINE. This is a perfect segue to tomorrow’s post. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Do you remember when there was no such thing as internet? Today, I actually considered selling my computer. I thought this is idiotic. Why am I so upset because I can’t get online? Why am I freaking out? I can’t imagine my life without the internet. I really can’t. However, there is a little voice inside me that says it might not be such an awful thing. Maybe? Hell, no!!!

4 comments:

deb said...

lol the first thing I did this evening was run in at check your blog... so I'm sure glad it's fixed... love always dryadart!

self taught artist said...

funny post and i get it :)
i think the internet has changed our lives in so many good ways, i've learned more by 'googling' than any school EVER taught me.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb, I am so glad one of your routines is to check out my blog! Yes, I got it fixed. Thank goodness. I can't imagine not being able to speak my mind and connect with wonderful people like you!]
:-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh Paula, The internet has changed my life immensely! I can't imagine life without it. I too have thought about how what we learn in schools as compared with doing Google searches. I totally agree that we no longer need to remember facts and figures. Google can do that for us. However, the general knowledge needed to do intelligent searches is still a facet of our school curriculum. At least, it should be..
:-)