Sunday, November 30, 2008

Art Blog: Art Bizzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can feel myself vibrating. I have this buzzing aura. I love this feeling! This is the last day of my vacation. However, I am ready and willing to go back to work. I feel back to my normal self, Sheree the Art Maniac! I love her so much! The best thing is I feel organized enough to keep this art roll going despite having to go back to work. I figured out yesterday the primary reason I get so irritated sometimes isn’t so much because I dislike my day job. It is truly because the time and energy I spend there causes me to become derailed sometimes. For example, I wanted to kick myself in the butt early this week. I was finally sorting through piles of paper on my work table and I found a prospectus for a show I really, really wanted to enter. I looked at it and realized I had missed the deadline by days. It felt like ice water had been poured all over me. This was my own fault. I know better. I just let my schedule get out of hand and I started piling one thing onto another until this entry form got lost and forgotten.
Shame on me.

Well, Thanksgiving day I stopped painting for a while. I thought how I have to get back to moving some of this art out of here! So I got down to art business. The first thing I did was rifle through my computer files and threw out all the outdated stuff I had collected about shows and trashed them. Once that was tidy, I collected more info on upcoming shows and printed out the ones I wanted to consider. I have to print out stuff. Digital files are great, but I need to hold the real piece of paper in my hand to comprehend what each gallery wants. Then I moved over to my paper files and weeded out garbage and made new folders with DATES for shows entered and future possibilities.

This art biz stuff takes up so much time! Friday and Saturday I spent over twenty hours getting four entry packets together. That breaks down to about five hours each. That’s crazy! It is unavoidable though. If you want it, you have to deal with it. I had to fill out the forms, print them out, make labels for the envelopes, edit photos to each of their specifications, make CDs, create CD labels, write checks, compose and print artist statements, and package everything up. Two of the packs required proposals. That took a huge chuck of time getting that stuff ready to go.

It is Sunday. I have to prepare for tomorrow’s work day. Today I will be doing the mundane: laundry, dishes, general housecleaning. However, I will be painting while I work. I have another idea for some new canvases I found tucked away in a closet. They are round. Weird. What can I do with these little numbers? I have a new idea.
Bizzy, bizzy, bizzy, BUZZ!


It took me over twenty hours to assemble the contents of these four envelopes. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh well, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
Now, off to the post office!

4 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Sheree, that is exactly where a lot of artists freeze and become completely overwhelmed. The ones like you, who persevere and take the time do all that time consuming non-creative stuff, are the ones who actually get to further their careers.

Sheree Rensel said...

Martha,
You are EXACTLY right! It can be overwhelming. My gosh. Every prospectus is so anal. None are exactly the same. You have to take your time, go through them one step by one step, and follow THEIR directions.
I can't believe I did this stuff for years and years WITHOUT a computer. That is almost unbelievable to me. However, I did it. That was my baptism by fire. This is why I am so good at it now and have lasted THIS LONG!

Thanks for the looking in!!
:-)

Kim Hambric said...

Glad to read that organization happened. I have avoided it lately. Too often, for me organization means I am ready and willing to be rejected.

Best of "luck" getting into those shows.

Sheree Rensel said...

Kim,
Just a few minutes before I read your comment, I taped off another exhibition entry packet. I did one yesterday too! So as of today, I have 8 job packets out (six of which I am certain I have been rejected. I haven't gotten official notice, but the time line kind of suggests I am OUT). Also right now, I have six exhibition entries out. Those won't come due until during the next month or two. I sent early.

I totally understand what you are saying. I am coming out of a six month period I didn't want to enter or apply for squat. The REJECTION factor was just too real for me. I was too tired. I got my spurt of energy back. I am over that "nobody wants me" feeling at the moment. I have nothing to lose. I am just doing what I have to do. Whatever happens, so be it.
:-)