Friday, November 28, 2008

Art Blog: Black Friday

It is Black Friday. Oh geesh. Have you seen those stories on the news about people who camp out in front of Best Buy for three days just so they get a coupon for stuff? Idiots! Do you know there is even a “Cyber Monday” now? Be inline/online on December 1st for internet shopping deals! Anything goes in pursuit of the buck. Of course, these are dates ordained as days we must spend, spend, spend! I don’t BUY into these ploys. (pun intended) In fact, I am to the point right now, I am trying to downsize. I have way too much STUFF. I found a pair of earrings yesterday, I didn’t even remember buying. The tags were still on them. This is bad Sheree. BAD!

When I was online this week looking for a vintage copy of the Stein book previously mentioned, I realized I should start selling some of my old books online. I am a book addict. Is there support group for people like me? TOMES ANONYMOUS? I have an addictive personality anyway. If I am not eating ice cream or drinking six packs, I tend to buy books, books, and more books. I am a sick puppy. LOL LOL During my bookstore adventure a few days ago, I was on my way to cash out. With my little paperback book and my ARTnews magazine, I was ready to leave. Then I saw this. It is an ART TOY!

Well, it is a book, but it reminds me of a grown up art toy for the amusement of those with eclectic tastes. It is a coffee table book. It is huge and heavy. The Treasures of Vincent Van Gogh is its title. So what is the big deal? It is so much fun and so cute! It measures a full 12.5 X 12.5 inches. It has big, slick, full color images. One of the pages folds out to reveal 4 humongous portraits of Vince. However, the coolest part is it has vellum pockets in which facsimiles of Van Gogh documents are stuffed. As you leaf through the book, you come across these little artifacts in these sheer sleeves. It is so much fun! Unfortunately, I can't speak or read French. However, the publisher considered Anglos like me. In one of the pockets is a translation book! Hooray for that!

I know this is kind of dorky and juvenile. I don’t care. I love this Christmas present to myself! Also, the price was so right. It was only $24.99. Can’t beat that!





5 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Sheree, if I'm addicted to anything, it's art toys!

However, I have never, ever been shopping on so-called Black Friday. But we have our son and his wife here, and just for fun we thought we'd go to the mall just to see what kind of crowds were out there. It was packed, parking was awful, and I actually got kind of an anxiety attack from being in such huge crowds. I couldn't wait to get out of there!!!

helan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheree Rensel said...

Martha,
I think this art toy is just so cute. However, it will take a bit of work just going through and trying to figure out what all these little papers and letters say.

OMG!! I didn't even leave my house yesterday. I hate crowds. I don't like the mall on any day. I too would have had an anxiety attack trying to wade through all those crazy shoppers. It is just too nutty!
Have a nice holiday weekend!
:-)

deb said...

If you found TOMES ANONYMOUS I will join!!!

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
I haven't found a group like that yet. However, I can imagine it. We would all be sitting in a shadowy room. The members would be sitting on folding chairs aligned in a circle. I would start the session:
"Hello, My name is Sheree. I am a Tomeaholic!" In unison, the response would be "HELLO SHEREE!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL